1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Joystick 6 Pin

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by pasto_guy, Feb 11, 2013.

1. pasto_guy

pasto_guy Member

Well leave it to one of my employees to break the 6 pin connecter piece that connects the joystick to the cable going through the firewall. He attempted to put it all back together in the field but to no avail. Now the box seems to be shot, or it is hooked up wrong. He said he took each wire and tried to directly connect them bypassing the white 6 pin connectors. I have checked to find an inline fuse but there is none. I have read in other posts that some installers use them while others do not. So I have ordered a new joystick box as well as another white connector so that I can attach the box without having to cut off the ends. Although I will have to solder the new white 6 pin connector to the firewall side of the cables. My question is this, are the wires color coded and if so can someone please give me the color coded info from the control box (ie joystick) side to the connection to the cable coming from the firewall side. I just don't want to assume anything before I hook up the new box. Thanks in advance.
  2. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

3. pasto_guy

pasto_guy Member

Ok guys, so I have hooked up everything and double checked the color coding. Everything seems to be hooked up correctly. I still have no power at the controller. I took the red ignition wire and followed it to the controller and there is no fuse that I can find. So I hooked up a jumper wire from the fuse box to the power wire for the controller and now I have power to the box but no power to the plow, but there is a strong electrical smell so I disconnected it rather quickly. Is there another fuse or something that I should be looking for? Any help would be appreciated. When the guys tried to fix in the field they did have wires crossed so I bought a new controller just in case it blew the old one. Neither controller seems to be getting power. It has to be something simple that I am over looking.
  4. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

Under the dash check there might be a inline fuse its usually red or maybe brown wire.
    I got one on mine and the fuse blew last year it drove me nuts till I found it.
  5. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

The red power wire for the controller should be hooked up to the ignition in the cab so the controller only powers on when the ignition's on in the truck. I don't remember if it has an in line fuse or not but it wouldn't hurt to add one.