1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western joy-stick -vs- CabCommand installation

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by racer0175, Nov 24, 2002.

1. racer0175

racer0175 Member

i have a 99 chevy silverado with the western ultramount....i did the install myself and i was just going to mount the joystick on the left side of the dash...after sitting in the truck and holding the joystick in different postions i think i'm gonna hit my leg every time i get out of the truck....could i posibly mount the joystick to the door?

if i can't, or if it would be too much trouble, how much does that cabcommand controller cost? and what do you people think of it....i held one at the dealer, and it seemed kinda akward to use, but i have used the old meyers controls my whole life....

2. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

Hey , I am looking at western ultra mounts myself... When I got pricing the dealer said the cab command was an extra $50.00 when purchased with the plow , but I have seen it in I think it was J thomas or maybe Mill supply for like $220.00 by itself.... How do you like the ultra mount compared to the unimount ? they have both for my application, but seem to be two totally differant units ??? what made you go for the ultra ?? Thanks

3. SCAPEASAURUSREX

from NJ

Ohh hey.... The dealer also showed me this cool contraption that was $60 .. bucks extra ... it's some kind of goose neck thingy that comes with a base plate you mount to the cab floor or wherever and then the goose neck thing has a magnetic base and when your not useing the plow the whole thing comes out , and when you need it , just plug the controller in and pop the magnetic base in place....

4. racer0175

racer0175 Member

i used to have meyers, and after about 5 years of replacing solenoids and motors i finally had enough....my friend had a western uni-mount and he loved it....i was actually going to go with the meyer md II ? system....kinda like the unimount and just keep my old plow and pump, and by a new undercarriage for my new 99 chevy....:D but in doing research i came across the ultramount....it seems awesome....30 seconds to put the plow on...and i'm not joking and i'm not very nimble...

i bought the joystick, and now i'm thinking i should have bought the cabcommand because i'm not liking how it will mount..

i saw that gadget, and it seems cool, but i am mounting my control on the left, and that would be more for the trans hump..

5. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

The 2 dealers around here charge $25 extra when purchasing the Western plow for the Cabcommand over the joystick. $2725 for 8'6 unimount with cabcommand - installed price.

6. MLB

MLB Senior Member

That's cheap

Pro plow?

What's the dealers name?

7. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

racer0175 - I have the perfect solution for you. Mount the joytick in your CD holder in between the front seats. I have my joystick mounted in the CD holder and my salt controler attached to the front of the joystick control.

I think you should have the same interior as me; a 1998 GMC Sierra.

It works awsome!

CGB

8. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Re: That's cheap

Regional Truck Eqpt here in Alsip. That was the price quoted about a month ago....with winter here, I am not sure if it is still the same but that was it. I asked for a quote when I was thinking of purchasing a new F250. They said that was the price for all 8'6 Pro plow uni mounts, with cabcommander.

9. SCAPEASAURUSREX

from NJ

I did it !

I went with the Ultra mount... nice set up.. I also opted for the cabcommand, cause somebody at the place I was buying from said he had both and the cab command is much easier to operate.. Unfortunatly I decieded to install myself, and worked untill about 9 pm last night and it's still not together, but it is covered with snow in pieces LOL..... I did get the wiring and hydraulics set up on the truck so I gout to use the cab command with out the moldboard and weight on it , but it is really smooth compared to my old meyers E47........... Only Porblem I am having is where to mount the cab command unit ??? on the left side the cable could get under my legs while driving one the other side , the cable could get wrapped around the steering wheel ??? may just mount it to the console.. any ideas on this one ??

10. SCAPEASAURUSREX

from NJ

I did it !

I went with the Ultra mount... nice set up.. I also opted for the cabcommand, cause somebody at the place I was buying from said he had both and the cab command is much easier to operate.. Unfortunatly I decieded to install myself, and worked untill about 9 pm last night and it's still not together, but it is covered with snow in pieces LOL..... I did get the wiring and hydraulics set up on the truck so I gout to use the cab command with out the moldboard and weight on it , but it is really smooth compared to my old meyers E47........... Only Porblem I am having is where to mount the cab command unit ??? on the left side the cable could get under my legs while driving one the other side , the cable could get wrapped around the steering wheel ??? may just mount it to the console.. any ideas on this one ??.... Ohhhyeah,,, $2750 installed for a uni mount.. thats insane... I got a price of $2950 not installed an additional $350 for installation.. However the guy did say the unimounts were being fased out so maybe they just had a few they wanted to get rid of ????

11. racer0175

racer0175 Member

i hope this link works....

past thread.....i did what "ohiosnow" did with the cabcommand

i went and traded the joystick for the cabcommand.....i like the cd idea but i have a 99 and i think its different, and i have alot of crap in my center console, and flip it up alot for my kids....i always had my controls on the left....

i traded the joystick and 45 bucks cash for the cabcommand, only thing is he didn't have the little mounting bracket...so i did what ohiosnow did...i think that will work good or i will just hold it in my left hand....

as far as putting the plow together the directions suck....if you bought the pro make sure you attach the a-frame to the plow, then put the springs and shock on loose then tighten everything

12. SCAPEASAURUSREX

from NJ

I thought the instructions were actually pretty good, compared to some other items Ive had instructions for..... What I did with the assebly was put the frame on the truck , install the wiring, Assemble the quadrant and a frame and all the hydraulics and light bar stuff, then I mounted the a frame set up to the truck, wired it up and then filled the hydraulics .. Then when that was all done I dragged the moldboard over to the truck and mounted it up , trip springs and then the stupid shock... dude what was up with the nuts on those shock bolts, were they small enough....

13. racer0175

racer0175 Member

see the directions were good for you cause you didn't follow em.......:eek:

the directions said to mount the quadrant to the mold board then the springs (said to tighten the springs up) then the shock...i had to loosen the springs to get the shock on...then i re-adjusted the springs....then i had to take the shock back off (and loosen the springs) to get the a-frame bolt on....i was really agravated after that.....