1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western issues

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dodge99, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Dodge99

Dodge99 Junior Member

Looking for help, 2001 Dodge Ram with a Western plow, 3 port module, 3 plug, 11 pin. I've switched the low beam and com wires to take care of very dim head lights whether the plow was on or not. ( westerns solution ) Plow works great, lights are bright but now my brand new battery has drained twice. Drains .01 volts a minute with plow connected. If I turn the hazards on when the plow is connected I lose my plow running lights and turn signals, truck side works perfectly. I've read the schematics and noticed it says there's a plug for the passenger side parking and market lights that's reversible. (Not sure what this does) Also on the 11 pin connector pins 5-7-11 meter battery voltage and some of those pins I believe should be commons. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If your battery is draining then you need to put a clamp on amp meter on it and start disconnecting things until you find the circuit that is drawing power, start with the isolation module. Switching the light wires won't cause that... I suspect the isolation module might be the problem because it is always connected to the battery and should shut itself off when the key is in the off position.

Your suggestion that the battery looses .01 volts a minute is not very helpful as that will vary depending on the size, condition and state of charge of the battery. Get an amp meter and measure the actual current that is being drawn from the battery in amps or milliamps. Think of electricity like water. Voltage is like pressure and amps is like gallons per minute of flow. Note that there will be about 500 milliamps or 1/2 amp of current flow from the battery when the ignition is off for a short time until the truck computer goes to sleep after which it will drop down to about half of that. Also consider the interior light, if a door is open.

You loose your running lights and signals on the plow when you turn on hazards??? This sounds like isolation module too. Initially is sounds like a bad ground but the marker / signals (hazards) have their own ground wire as well as the headlights so they can't be associated.

Reversible plug for markers??? I think you read that wrong, you say you have a three port module. That reversible two wire plug is for the signals. This plug allows you to orient the signals so the signal on the plow match the signal on the truck. Your headlight to isolation module harness is a single Y shaped cable with one long leg and one short. If you put the module on the driver's side the short leg goes to the driver's headlight, if you mount the module on the passenger's side the short leg must got to that side as well. Without that configuration plug. Without that plug the signal on the truck could flash right while the plow signals left.... The four port module had one independent cable for each side so you could just switch them from one port on the module to the other to resolve this.

Try a new isolation module, everything you are saying point to that, battery drain, light problem..... all point to the same culprit.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  3. Dodge99

Dodge99 Junior Member

Thanks for the information, I will look in to that and let you know what I find.
  4. Dodge99

Dodge99 Junior Member

Ok, I had a few problems. Brand new (2 weeks old) battery had a bad cell, dropped voltage while disconnected. Trailer hitch harness was a mess, not sure what the previous owner was thinking. The big issue was my fault. I swapped the common and low beam wires for hb1/hb5 headlights behind the black plug, I should have switched them behind the blue plug. Hazards work, lights are super bright. Hope this helps someone in the future. Thanks guys.
  5. Dodge99

Dodge99 Junior Member

Spoke too soon, still having problems. I bought this 01 ram without the plow. I bought the wiring harness and 3 port module with green label from another 01 ram. I'm not sure if it had day light running lights on or not and wondering if I should buy a white label 3 port mod or another green label. All lights work until I use the hazards, then my plow (only) running lights and turn signals go out until I unplug the 11 pin plug and plug it back in. Then everything's good, also I have to unplug the same plug to stop my battery from draining. I don't have drl on my truck, so do you guys think the green label module could be causing these problems ? Any ideas would be appreciated.
  6. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

So this is an install you just did, or the plow was on and now you have problems?
  7. Dodge99

Dodge99 Junior Member

I added the plow, mount, and truck side harness. I searched on this site and found westerns tech support number. Called them and he was stumped but after he talked about it with somebody else they narrowed it down to the isolation module. I'm going to order a new one and try it. What makes them think it's the module is this. When I plug the 11 pin plug into the truck side the module clicks real loud when the truck is turned off. Fingers crossed.