1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Isarmatic soleniod plow stuck up

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Pokerz, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Pokerz

Pokerz Member

Hi, I have a Western unimount Mark III. The unit was working just fine and the plow got stuck in the up position. Backed up moving the plow to the left and right and it became free to go down again. The next day went out to clean up the excess snow and half way through the job the plow got stuck in the up position.
    I have studied the schematics, checked all wires to be good. Have it narrowed down to the S1 cartridge valve, maybe. Have not taken it apart.
    My question is How to let the blade down without draining the fluid and what would make it just stop working.
    Thank you for any help in advance!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well Ck for power while the blade is in float.
    You can hotwire the coil and see if that works. To get it down, well your Gunnas make a mess no matter what.

3. Pokerz

Pokerz Member

Not sure how to hot wire the coil. Could I use jumper cable from the battery directly to the contact points on the C1 cartridge? The blade will move left and right and would go higher if it could.

4. Pokerz

Pokerz Member

Going to test the magnetic pull on C1 today. Did not have a helper yesterday.

5. dieselss

Yellow/wht. Yes small "jumper" wires. Actually just one to the pos side of the batt to the yel/wht wire. Can also do the screwdriver test while your at it. Watch your toes as well.
    If you have a joystick, use a couple rubber bands to hold it down

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  6. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

You can use small jumper wires to jumper the S1 coil. Just hook power and ground to the respective terminals on the coil, but make sure you stay clear of the blade, because if the coil and valve are operating properly, the blade is going to come down when you jumper the coil. If it does not come down, then you need to check for magnetism at the coil with it removed, power and ground to the coil from your harness, and for a sticking or faulty S1 valve... one of those things is causing your issue. Don't try to remove the S1 valve with the plow hanging on the cylinder, otherwise you'll be cleaning up fluid twenty feet away. If you need to remove the valve, raise the blade with a floor jack to relieve the pressure on the cylinder, then remove the valve with a drain pan under the pump.

7. Drconstruction

Drconstruction Junior Member

I hooked my plow up for the first time last week, had the same problem. Goes up, left, right, not down. Check the connector at the grill first. I had a bad connection at the pin inside the plug, cleaned it out, all is well. Good luck!

8. Pokerz

Pokerz Member

OK, Thanks for advise, will get to it as soon as possible. Can't bring it inside and real work to do today. I did unplug the 2 grill connections and they looked clean, will try that again as it would be the quickest fix.

9. Pokerz

Pokerz Member

Today I ran a jumper wire from the battery to the C1 connectors. The blade went down.
    Now that we know that works this way, what would be the next thing to test?
    All your help is greatly appreciated.

10. dieselss

Ck for signal to.the coil.from the clicker

11. Pokerz

Pokerz Member

The clicker being the joy stick?

12. dieselss

Yes........

13. Pokerz

Pokerz Member

If I get a signal that power is going from the joy stick to the coil, would that mean the coil is fried?
    A coil is inexpensive, so might order one so I can swap it out as long as I'm out there in the cold working on it.
    I found this one for $17.54 http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=9001907

14. cubicinches

Not if the plow dropped when you hot wired the coil. The coil must be functional. You're either missing ground at the coil, or it's not getting voltage when you activate the controller.

15. Pokerz

Pokerz Member

I never hot wired the coil, just ran a wire from the battery to the C1 connector.
    All the wires are in really good shape.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  16. cubicinches

What's the C1 connector?

17. dieselss

If you ran a wire from pos batt to the coil, and the plow dropped,,, You just hotwired it. Have you cked power from the controller to the coil yet?

18. cubicinches

What he said.... ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ :)

19. Pokerz

Pokerz Member

By C1 connector, I mean the wires that connect directly onto the C1. The actual coil is where the wires go from the controller and then to the plow assembly C1,C2 and C3. I posted a link to what my coil looks like and I didn't mess with that at all accept to make sure all the wires are good and tightly connected.
    Sorry, but I'm kind of a dork and don't know how to check if power is going from the controller (joy stick) to the coil. When I move the joy stick to lower when in the cab, I hear a click within the controller box the same as it always had.
    I had an old van that I used to start by putting a screw driver on the coil and jumping the pos/neg (hot wire). Is that what you mean by hot wire? Because I completely bypassed the coil when lowering the blade.

20. dieselss

Rubber band the controller DOWN, get out and test light the coil. Clip from test light on ground, point on coil wire. See what happens