1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Isarmatic - Motor Stuck On

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by swa, Dec 25, 2007.

1. swa

swa Junior Member

Hi-

I have a Western Isarmatic Mark 3a on an 86 Suburban.

Yesterday, I was plowing my driveway, cleaning up from the nasty drifts we received on Sunday. I had made a couple of passes, enough to get through when the motor on the pump stuck on. It responded to the joystick, meaning it would go up, down, left or right, but the motor would stay engaged.

I finally stopped it by disconnecting the lead from the battery.

I have no idea what to to try looking at, any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

stuck

i think the motor solenoid under the hood is stuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Sawdust Bob

Sawdust Bob Junior Member
    from Il

Replace the solenoid under the hood! A cheap fix.:waving:

4. swa

swa Junior Member

Stuck

Thanks guys.

I'll give that a shot and let you know how it turns out.

Scott

5. swa

swa Junior Member

Stuck Motor

Well, I got the solenoid replaced, but the motor is still running. Any other thoughts on what to look at?

Thanks for the help,
    Scott

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does it stop if you disconnect the small wire from the solenoid? If so then either the wire is grounded out somewhere or the switch contact is stuck in the joy stick controller..

7. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

Could your new solenoid be defective also?

8. swa

swa Junior Member

Motor Stuck

B&B -

I assume that you mean the small wire running from the solenoid to the joystick. I removed that wire and reattached the lead to the motor. The motor started running. Maybe my replacement solenoid is bad.

Scott

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes the small wire was the one I was referring too..

If it runs even with the wire off then either you have a defective solenoid or the solenoid is incorrect and it's a self grounding type, which would make the solenoid activate if you have it attached to something metal on the truck.

If it is attached to a metal part of the truck. unbolt it and place a rag or shop towel under it to isolate it from being grounded through the mounting bracket. Momentarily re connect the power cable and see if the motor now runs... if it still does, then the solenoid is defective. If it doesn't, then you have the wrong solenoid...

10. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Did you buy a plow solenoid or a regular car solenoid. Because you need one that can handle 200 amps. If not, you will melt it the first or 2nd time you use it.

11. swa

swa Junior Member

Motor Stuck

I bought one from the auto parts store. I found out quickly that a Suburban doesn't have the fender mount style solenoid. I guess every car that I had from that era was a Ford and I just made the connection that I could get one there.

So, now that I fried the solenoid, what other information do I need to get the right kind? Or is knowing that it needs to be a 200 amp solenoid enough?

Thanks,
    Scott

12. swa

swa Junior Member

Motor Stuck

Since it looks like I'm going to need to remove this one, I'll try your test. I suspect that I have the wrong kind of solenoid.

Thanks,
    Scott

13. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Dunno if you have one there, but Tractor Supply co. sells plow stuff, and they carry the western solenoids...

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A Ford starter solenoid won't work on the old cable controlled pumps because they're activated by 12V, not ground as in the case of the cable controlled pumps.. that's why it's stuck "on".... you need an actual plow solenoid.

15. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Advance Auto sells the S.A.M. brand of parts and have those solenoids, also. you DO need the self grounding type solenoid. If you are still getting current back to the solenoid and the pump still runs when you hook your battery back up, then you COULD have an issue with the inside of your controller (it is always simple). Something such as you tab plate might be bent and not breaking the connection or something. These metal plates wear out after a while.

16. swa

swa Junior Member

Motor Stuck

The replacement that I first bought was from Advance, but I am sure that it wasn't the right one.

I just picked up a Western from Northern Tool. It is a 3-post instead of a 4-post. It was the only Western solenoid that Northern had. Is that still going to work?

Scott

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The activation wire coming out from the controller is GROUND, NOT 12V...that's why you can't use a self grounding solenoid.. the the controller is what needs to ground it in order to activate it. If it's already grounded (like a self grounded one) it's gonna be activated as soon as you install the small 12V jumper wire from the big batt cable terminal to one of the small terminals on the solenoid...so if course the motor is going to run as soon as you connect the cable from the motor.

With the small 12V jumper already on it, it now has 12V, if you do that to a self grounded solenoid, what's it going do?...it's going to activate even without the controller wire connected.

Install the correct NON SELF GROUNDING solenoid.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Scott, I think it's also going to be a self grounding 12V activated relay as that's how all the Westerns were after the cable pumps, (although they were also 4 post not 3) so I'd think that's what they'd sell since they'd be the most common.

19. swa

swa Junior Member

So based on what you put in your previous post, this one is not going to work either?

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Without knowing the exact part # I can't say 100% but with only 3 posts, more than likely it's a 12V activated solenoid, not ground activated.. Do you have a part # for it? I might be able to cross refrence it to see exactly what it is.