1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Isarmatic Mark III plow ange/up down rams stop working

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mxzwild, Dec 13, 2007.

1. mxzwild

mxzwild Junior Member
    from Vermont

I have a western electric pump that is cable operated, Isarmatic Mark III, that stopped working last night. I was cleaning up the driveway and the angle operation started to give me trouble by not wanting to angle left, then angle right and then up and down. Now it is all the way up and I can't push the ram down now. The motor is working and it sounds like the pump is trying to move the hydraulics. Any one ever have this happen to them before? I am going to clean the pump screen but not sure if a check valve stuck so it is not letting fluid flow back, or maybe cables are out of adjustment? Also the Western is also the same as the Fisher set up, as you probably know. Thanks for any help.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

froze

check your filter and oil reservoir for ice or plugged filter ,also your cable enclosure's for frozen ice ,unthaw and reseal covers and were the cables go in .it was working then the longer you drove it it started to slow down ,sounds like it froze up.

3. mxzwild

mxzwild Junior Member
    from Vermont

That could be, it did rain the night night before and it did cool down so possible that water got into it and iced up. I did drain the oil last night and I am going to check the filter tonight.

4. mxzwild

mxzwild Junior Member
    from Vermont

Would that keep me from pushing the lift ram back into the housing? I was able to before I started plowing yesterday.

5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

it would have to be real bad not to be able to push the ram down ! make sure to check you cable enclosures for ice ,i they are froze up full of water the valve wont move far enough to release the oil back to the tank .make sure to seal the cable's were they go in and the cover plate's .

6. mxzwild

mxzwild Junior Member
    from Vermont

Well I checked it out tonight and found out my up/down cable broke because I had to tight of a bend. I think when it broke it stayed in the up position and that is why I could not push it back down. Seems to work now but I need to find another cable ASAP because we are suppose to get a good storm on Sunday, 12+". Anyone know of any dealers or parts people in the Vermont-New Hampshire area that would have new cables?