1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Isarmatic IIIa Issues

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jeralmac, Aug 9, 2014.

1. jeralmac

jeralmac Junior Member

Hi all, looking for some help with an older Western Plow. I'm a homeowner with a 300' drive and have owned a Western Plow on a 1990 Chevy 1500 pickup for about 4 years. When I bought it, the plow worked OK but I've learned looking back that it never really operated correctly. For example, when angling, the blade would raise and when lowering, it would take like 10 seconds. Starting sometime last season (had lots of snow last year!) things starting getting worse. So this summer, I decided to rebuild the pump. Spent a few hours replacing all of the O-rings and get it completely re-assembled. However, I think I made things worse. Now it won't angle or raise. Attempted to follow the troubleshooting guide but not getting anywhere. If I back out the large flathead screw on the front, it goes from putting load on the motor to none at all (once I have it threaded all the way in). It will raise but only when the plow chain is not attached.

Any tips? It's a Isarmatic IIIa cable operated pump. I thought it was about 25 years old but some guy from Truckin America said he thinks it might be as old as 40 years old (was shocked to hear that!) I can attach pictures if that helps.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So its a cable operated unit.
    Have you ever replaced the cables yet?
    Adjusted them ever?
    What about the motor? Ever replace that?

3. jeralmac

jeralmac Junior Member

Cables have not been replaced, at least in the last 4 years. They do, however, seem to have a normal range of motion. I've had my wife move the control lever and both pins move normal and center when she lets go of the control.

I believe the motor is fine. The reason I believe this is because towards the end of last season, as I was tinkering with the adjustments, it would go from working fine to feeling like it is working to pressurize but meeting resistance. I read in the manual that there is some sort of pump "pressure relief" but I can't figure out if that is an adjustable control or how it works. It's almost like it's pumping against resistance. If I back out the front screw (where you adjust the raise), the motor RPM drops and it seems like pressure builds, just not enough to raise. If I screw it back in, the RPM raises. I was experiencing this last season but if I fiddled with it enough, it would eventually raise just fine, I'd just end up messing up something else like the angling.

If I do get it to raise (such as with the help of a jack), I then can't get it to lower. But if I back out the rear screw (hex screw) to the point where fluid comes out, the blade eventually drops.

4. dieselss

Ok. As far ad the motor and pump. You would really need to put a gauge on it to determine the proper psi output
    The psi adjustment is on the pump body. But you need to adjust everything first

5. jeralmac

jeralmac Junior Member

OK, thanks for your input so far, very appreciated! Can you elaborate on the adjustment part? Are you saying that I need to do the adjustments first, then try to test the PSI? Do you happen to know where the PSI adjustment is?

6. dieselss

I can get it. Not at puter. Have you tried Western .com. and searce the mechanic guide

7. Usedsnowplows

Usedsnowplows Inactive

Pump not building pressure.

Check the O ring on the bottom of the pump. Sounds like it's missing or pinched. If this happens it will not build pressure to raise. If you haven't adjusted cables & it worked before the rebuild it's not cables.

8. jeralmac

jeralmac Junior Member

Thanks for the tip! I've been working on it here and there as I've had time and I'm leaning towards a pressure issue so this really helps. I'll check it out! Thanks!