1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western isarmatic cable

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by king0581, Jan 27, 2016.

1. king0581

king0581 Junior Member
    from va

Just curious if anyone has ever switched to a complete different pump from the isarmatic 3a cable actuated on a unimount plow. Been having a lot of issues with the pump and thinking about swapping to something newer instead of just a electric actuated isarmatic pump. Thanks

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i know two people that put meyer pumps on to get rid of the western cable pumps.

3. king0581

king0581 Junior Member
    from va

That's the type of info I'm looking for. Do you know exactly which pumps and if there was much fab work involved? Not that the fab work is a big deal, would just like to keep it simple. On another note a Meyers would be nice because the local Meyers dealer is a lot better than my closest western dealer...

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You'd need unimount wiring harness, unimount controller, and of course unimount pump asm, to start with

5. king0581

king0581 Junior Member
    from va

Yeah I know I would need the harness and controller to operate a different motor than the cable driven one I have. Just looking to go to something a little less outdated than the cable system and keep the plow and mount that I already have on the truck. I bought the truck last year for the dump body and the plow was just an extra that came with it. Im not a contract plower. Just doing a couple driveways and a couple small lots for people I know.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  6. dieselss

For price wise, might be cheaper to buy a whole plow assm maybe with the truckside wiring.

7. king0581

king0581 Junior Member
    from va

That one has crossed my mind also. The only thing is whoever installed this one cut the bumper out to mount it to the truck and welded the mount in places. Still not a big problem to fix but would rather not if I didn have too. Its on a '97 f350.

Also this currently has an 8' blade and would like to add wings to it later.

8. dieselss

I just meant buy the plow so you have the pump and plow side wiring. I wasn't meaning to install the unimount setup

9. king0581

king0581 Junior Member
    from va

Oh, I got ya. I posted it wrong in my original post, its a conventional mount that I have now.

10. dieselss

I know what you want to do. And that's why I said buy the whole plow, and just retrofit the electrical pump in place of the cable one.

11. king0581

king0581 Junior Member
    from va

At least one of us knew what I meant. Ha ha.

12. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The Isarmatic electric Unimount pump is dead on reliable, easily rebuilt by anyone who knows how to read, and turn a wrench, and parts are as cheap as they can be.

I have the unimount 8.5 pro plow, and I have an extra pump assembly on the shelf should something ever go wrong during the season. They're so reliable when rebuilt properly, the run like clockwork.

JMO.

13. king0581

king0581 Junior Member
    from va

That's part of my problem now. I have had this at my local western dealer a few times already and they can't get it right. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes you have to move the lever a few times to get it to do what you want. Even hung up once and wouldnt go down at all. They claim they have repacked the lift ram twice and it still leaks. Also leaks around the packing nut. When I get time I'm gonna look at it myself, check cable adjustment and see how tight the packing nut is. Just haven't had time and would rather just update to something newer instead of dropping anymore money in this one.

14. king0581

king0581 Junior Member
    from va

Anyone ever dealt with storks? I see they have a rebuilt electric pump on their site. Or anyone know of a better place for what I need if I can't find a whole used unimount plow?

15. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Can't find it local to you ? I find a lot of good stuff on craigslist. I would buy the harnesses you need directly from western or one of the online western dealers such as FDR Hitches. Don't use an old harness as it's not worth the trouble unless it's pristine in condition.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  16. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Those packing nuts "seep". Yes.

Do not overtighten it, as it will negatively affect the performance of the pump. Follow the FSM tightening instructions on Western's website.

The cable plows are very efficient if they are done properly. If you do the work yourself, you can make sure they're set up right. Me, from a cost, and ease of doing the work myself, I would switch everything over to a Unimount style, or just go new. Unimounts are so easy to work on, and so reilable.

17. king0581

king0581 Junior Member
    from va

In my area there's not a lot of used plow stuff for sale to begin with so actually finding a used unimount plow is gonna be tough. You don't even see a lot of western plows running around when it snows and after dealing with the closest western dealer I can see why! I'll check out FDR hitches also. Was just wondering if storks rebuilt pumps are any good.

18. dieselss

A few pple here use storks if I remember correctly. I've never heard anything bad.

19. king0581

king0581 Junior Member
    from va

I read up on the tightening a while back just never did it. Think it was tighten until it touches the packing then go a 1/4 turn or something like that. Can't remember off the top of my head for sure. I would call this more of a leak than a seep. They even put some pipe dope on it to get it to stop and its not working. I didn like the fact of the pipe dope being on it cause I wasn't there to see how it was done and if they threw to much extra on it I could see it getting in the valves and causing problems...

20. king0581

king0581 Junior Member
    from va

That's good to know cause if nobody else has any recommendations that's probably the route I would go.