1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Internal Pump

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by linckeil, Sep 18, 2007.

1. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

hello, i am new to the site and this is my first post. i came across the site during a google search and i hope to get an answer to my question here.

anyway, i have a western cable operated conventional plow setup. my question is in regards to the interchangablity of the internal pump. after doing some research, it appears that around 1980, western started using a different electric motor and internal pump. the pre 1980 pump is part # 25557 and has an overall height of 3.56". the 1980 and newer pump is part # 49211 and has an overall height of 4.15". part 49211 has 3 different versions and all are interchangable.

now for the question..... can a cable operated unit that was originally equipped with a 25557 internal pump use a 49211 internal pump? if yes, then i realize i would need to use the new style electric motor as well. i want to be sure the castings and ports between the units/pumps are compatible.

thanks.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:waving: Yep, you can use the newer stlye pump as long as you also use the newer style motor. The housings never changed...

3. linckeil

from CT

well thats good news. the 25557 replacement pump is available but is almost 3 times as expensive as the 49211 pump.

the external housings between the pre '80 and post '80 units do have some visual differences. the pre 80 housings are actually a bit beefier with more material on them than the post '80 housings. and the pre '80 housings require a flat head screw driver to adjust the lift valve where the post '80 housings use an allen key to adjust the lift valve.

all my experiences have been with the post '80 housings until i recently picked up a pre '80 unit on ebay as a spare. thats when i noticed the visual differences as well as the internal pump/electric motor differences.

but i'm glad to hear that the 49211 internal pump can be used in place of the 25557 internal pump. thanks for the reply.

any other experiences out there with this issue?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The housings do have "visual" difference's, but all the internal parts will interchange.

5. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

The new electric motor has an extra bolt near the bottom for a ground cable, guess they had problems. The new hydraulic pump has a smaller hole on the bottom and the pressure relief valve is on top instead of in the side. Both do work on the post 80 housings, I have replaced both.

6. linckeil

from CT

thanks for the input.

i have a follow up question....

i have always run ATF in the pump for years and never had a problem. after doing some research here, it appears most people run fluid specific to snowplow pumps. my western manual says i can run either ATF or snowplow fluid.

my question is should i swap from ATF and run snowplow fluid? what benefits will i realize? is there any downside to swapping - other than the higher price of snowplow fluid? if i do swap, is it necesary to get all the ATF out of the pump/rams or is it okay if a bit of ATF mixes with the snowplow fluid?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

While you have it apart swapping out the pump would be an excellent time to convert the system over to a dedicated plow fluid. The fluid will flow much better a low temps, which will lighten the load on the motor and electrical system, and will also help with freeze up if any water gets in the system. Other than the increased cost theirs not really any disadvantages of running plow fluid in place of the traditional ATF. You should also flush the lines and angle cylinders of as much ATF as possible. A small amount still in the system won't cause a problem but you want to remove as much of it as you can.

8. linckeil

from CT

thanks B&B. you're an asset to this site.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad to help bud...that's why I'm here :salute:

10. linckeil

from CT

one last question... the western manual says to set the pump pressure at 1850 psi max. i have a gauge for testing the pressure. what happens if i set the pressure higher than that? i don't have a need to do that, nor do i plan on doing that, but i'm curiuos what the implications would be if i went above the recommended max psi? and is 1850 the place to set it, or is there another setting i should use? its a heavy 8 foot pro plow.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Great advice. Meyer makes a product called hydroflush (maybe their best product;)) Using it to flush out the system between draining and refilling with a preimium fluid helps clean out the system and is compatible with all fluids.

[
    Second That.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your right, you do want to stick with the recommended pressure setting (1850psi) as per the Western specs. There's no reason to go higher as setting it higher just places more work load on the pump,motor,valves and o-rings, 1850psi is more than enough to lift your 8' pro. In fact, 1850psi pump with an 1 1/2 lift cylinder (which your Western unit has) has enough lifting power to lift well over a 1000 lbs at the end of the lift arm!

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks Basher and the same to you too! :salute: