1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Intermit Raising

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by outatnite, Nov 8, 2012.

1. outatnite

outatnite Junior Member

Basic info: 2006 Ram 1500, 7’6” Western pro, ultra mount, hand held control, 3 plug with an 11 pin, 4 plug isolator white tag. So ever just wish it would break so you knew what to fix? Because it shows up so randomly I have no idea where to look anymore or what to expect it is. Problem only affects the raise function, I am just holding the raise button function when it shows up and acts like you are rapidly repressing the raise button and during the “rapid un pressed” part of this the plow will lower. I can feel it/hear it in the control; (like power interruption but the control does not turn off like it has lost power) the motor relay also starts to cycle the same way when this happens. I have been over the entire system, bench checked the controller…. Because there is more load lifting the plow than turning it can something randomly work under more load? So anyone care to point me in a direction I am lost with this and having low confidence in my equipment.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The issue is in the controller. Most likely a dying circuit board (rather than a broken wire which is very common) based on your description.

3. outatnite

outatnite Junior Member

My thought was leaning that way but I just couldn’t convince myself to spend the money after I did the bench check and took it apart to examine the board for a possible crack, plus I figured something like that would just plain fail because the internal components are basically computer like sensitive relays. Well going to the next question of this then being is it worth changing the board or just replace the complete controller. I am not completely happy with the wear of the connection between the controller and the harness and even considered making it a hard wire connection. I want to thank you for your input and to all the others who have been viewing this either with a similar problem or just in silent agreement.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They often die with no visual clues internally once disassembled. Dang electronics anyway. :D

If the plug is worn as well you'll be further ahead to go ahead and replace the complete controller. The difference isn't substantial. And if you want to be 100% certain before laying out the funds finds someone with a spare controller as a test, a friend etc. SOME dealers will lend you one for testing purposes as well if they're confident they'll make a sale from it.

5. outatnite

outatnite Junior Member

Thanks for the input on this, guess all that's left is to shop around.