1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Icebreaker

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rjets00, Jan 29, 2007.

1. rjets00

rjets00 Member

Well I bought a Western Icebreaker spreader that is needing some work done on the gearbox and shaft/spinner. I thought that maybe some of you guys maybe could post some detailed pictures of yours on here so I would no where to start. I currently use a Western proflo 2, and this will be my first v box so I could use some pointers. The Icebreaker is The Mild Steel unit with 11 hp Honda motor. The hopper almost looks new,but I think chain is froze up, no rust but has gearbox issues. Any help would be appreciated.

2. UNISCAPE

UNISCAPE Member

THE GEARBOX IS THE LAST THING TO GO WRONG......THAT UNIT MUST HAVE SOME SERIOUS ISSUES......:rolleyes:

3. slade

slade Senior Member

Are you sure that it isn't the clutch that is froze up. I have had that happen to mine just sitting thru the summer.

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like thebearing are frozen on the spinner shaft

john

5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I had a Ice breaker and it kept freezing up. we changed the bearings (about $50 for three)and that helped a little but after asking for help on here RIGHT CHOICE told me about the clutch problem, I guess from the salt sitting on the clutch it stops it for making good magnetic contact ($180.00 new clutch) now she works like a charm. Salters are just like women ..... sink a bunch of $$$$$ into them and they will treat you right!

Oh and yer Ive never heard of anyone burning up them gearboxes!

6. Strictly Snow

Strictly Snow Senior Member
    from Oxford

Have you tried taking a pipe wrench to the input shaft and freeing up the main shaft. Sometimes that is all it takes is just to get it moving. If that works try working it around a few times and freeing the drag chain up. If everything is free moving but will not grab at the clutch try usin sand paper on the upper portion and the lower portion of the clutch to knock the rust off after that it new clutch city