1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Icebreaker HELP needed

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Superior L & L, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We have a western 3 yds icebreaker and when you turn the clutch on some times it spreads salt sometimes not. If it has three yards in it it will not work for sure and the belt burns up. We shoveled 1.5yds out and it will work but only sometimes. It will start to burn a belt then will catch and work. I talked to the dealer (who can work on it in about a week!!!) and he said the first thing they would do is check the feed chain to make sure its not to slack. He also said they would change the bearings on the chain.
    We did both these thing and still no luck. We also oiled the chain it works a little more but not fully.
    Ive have 3-4 v boxes before and never had this problem. There doesn't seam like these things are that special just some basic engineering. I guess that makes me stupid! the v box is smarter than me.
    A friend said there is a bearing in the clutch but i figured i would check with some more experienced people on here first.
    Thanks!

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

how loose is the belt?how easy does the spinner shaft turn by hand?

john

3. Superior L & L

from MI

The belt is relativly tight, you can turn the spinner but there is some resistance. The chain has about 3/4 - 1" of slack in it

4. Strictly Snow

Strictly Snow Senior Member
    from Oxford

Paul,
    I had the same problem on my icebreaker. i ended up buying a new clutch. I have worked on many spreaders and i dont like the belt drive system they have too much room for slipage needs to be chain drive. Need any help give me a call you have the number

5. Superior L & L

from MI

this is only the second season on the spreader. the clutch can go that quickly ? We also did not do a whole lot of pm work on it last spring so i guess anything can happen

6. Superior L & L

from MI

7. Strictly Snow

Strictly Snow Senior Member
    from Oxford

I try and do everything i can to keep that area well cleaned and protected and it still failed. Try using antisieze when you install the new one i did that this year lets see how well that works. And in the spring spray the heck out of it with some kinda lube/protectant