1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Hydraulic Fluid Question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by doublewide6, Nov 30, 2015.

1. doublewide6

doublewide6 Junior Member

I got my plow last season and changed the hydraulic fluid yesterday. I have a western Midweight plow and it calls for 2 3/8 to 2 3/4 quarts. I took out 1.75 quarts including draining all 3 cylinders and all 3 lines. I added 2 quarts of SAM fluid until it started coming out the fill hole. I did run the plow in all directions and dead end it and topped it off until it came out the fill hole a second time. The plow is responding as it should I'm just wondering is extra fluid hiding inside the pump or is it normal to only take 2 quarts? I am figuring I will plow with it for a few driveways and then check and top off.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

It could have been low before draining.

And you'll never get it all out.

3. doublewide6

doublewide6 Junior Member

Yes it may have been low originally. Anyone else have a Western and have about the same results? If not I guess there is air in the system?

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Your fine, there is some fluid left in the rams you will never get out. After your first storm, just check the level.

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

x2..........