1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western hydraulic contamination

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JTSTALKER3, Dec 4, 2010.

JTSTALKER3 Junior Member

I've got issues with contamination ....clogged filters, slow operation,.what is causing this and how do i rid my plow of the downtime to drain clean filter and refill, currently using transmission fluid. ....Help please......it's snowing
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Your gonna have to drain and flush the entire system. I would then change the filter, and fill it with a good name brand plow fluid. Don't use tranny fluid. Tranny fluid have a much high freeze temp then plow fluid. When you flush the system make sure to lift the plow and push it back and forth to clean out the angle cylinders as well.
  3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

make sure the lift cylinder is all the way down as well.
  4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

JTSTALKER3 Junior Member

Thanks for the advice, do i use anything special to flush?, will flushing also clean valves, in the event they are contaminated?
  6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

What is it contaminated with?
  7. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

just drain all the oil out including the angle rams. fill it with western oil and go plow.