1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western HTS or Boss standard...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Turf Commando, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I'm getting one of these plows this year for my 92 F 150 just need advice on which of the two is more reliable most features (hook-up)etc. They both cost the same ...I only do light commercial / residential all info is appreciated...

2. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Both brands are good, I would look at more than just cost! Is your local dealer gonna be open when you need service which could be 3am??? Do they have a good parts selection? I was looking at the same plows and ended up getting the BOSS Super Duty as it was only a little extra $$$ and built a lot stronger....

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Dealer support/service is the most important thing.

4. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

agree 100% with having service available at 3am on a Sunday morn with 6 more inches coming, i had only westerns for a while but now have 3 boss v-plows and just love them, only problem i had is with the pivot pin, had to replace them on all 3 so far, but nothing else, do not like the electrial plugs on the westerns, the small pins corrode easy, even with the dielectric grease, then have to replace the whole plug and harness when one brakes

5. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Decided on a Boss plow just wont get it until mid nov...

6. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

think it will be worth the wait, not to mention the 2 yr warranity, think youll love it

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

When you say pivot pin, do you mean the wing hinge? You are the only person I have heard say anything about them. Why did you have to replace them?

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Douglass Dynamics plows have a two season warranty.

9. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

when i said the pivot pin it may not be the correct term, there is a 2" round pin that i think mounts the blade to the plow frame, the first one that broke, my driver thought he was in a dozer and was blowing through heavy snow that was put on the walks by the city plow, there was alot of ice in it, the pin bent, and the plow was not centered anymore, that was clearly abuse, so it was not covered under warranity 2 seasons ago, he could have and should have gone and got the skid steer to do it, but that cowboy isn't with me anymore. the other 2 that went was last season, i think the nut on one side came lose and the pin shifted then bent, they were covered by warranity, and we put a spot weld on it after they fixed it so the nut would not come off. hope that answered your question. all 3 are v-blades, i think the straight blades have them as well, if they do, keep an eye on the nut on the right side of the blade, about half way up the plows, and on the inside of the plow. good luck