1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western HTS on 2005 Suburban?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 2005ChevSub, Mar 5, 2013.

1. 2005ChevSub

2005ChevSub Junior Member

New poster, apologies for newbie ignorance.

Considering a new Western HTS plow for my '05 Suburban 1500 for homeowner use. Western's online truck / plow matching application confirms need for bumper notching for Tahoe (silent re: Suburban with identical bumper, etc).

Does anyone have experience mounting that particular plow on that truck? Would I lose the front towing hooks? What about the truck's nearby fog lights? Any other critical issues to consider?

Finally, is there a comparable plow (performance, cost) that is a better fit for an '05 Suburban and doesn't require alterations to the bumper?

Thanks very much.
    :salute:
    (Will also post on the Western forum.

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Almost all plows need some alteration to the valance. Yes you will lose the tow hooks. No the fogs will not be affected. The Western mounts are the least visible when the recievers are removed.

3. 2005ChevSub

Sierra -- thanks! Does the valance get notched just where the receivers protrude? If so, maybe it's subtle enough and not too unsightly?

4. 2006Sierra1500

Its not too too bad. Its cut just about as much as it would with a brush guard. I have a Fisher HT on my 05 Yukon, and it gets notched from the tow hook hole down.

5. 2005ChevSub

Glad that you have essentially the same truck, same year.
    Thanks for the excellent input. I've got the picture now.
    :nod:

6. 2006Sierra1500

They plow pretty well with decent tires as well. No problem.

7. 2005ChevSub

Sierra - thanks again.
    Will need to replace my tires before too long. Do you have a personal recommendation for a tire that is an ideal balance between grip power for plowing and highway driving? (My Suburban still serves as a long-distance people-hauler 2-3 times a year.)

8. 2006Sierra1500

My Yukon never really goes anywhere but around town. It goes to Misquamicut once every summer though. On mine I have BFGoodrich Commercial T/A Traction, LT265/75/16, great tire. Not too loud, just turn up the radio a bit. They plow great.

9. 2005ChevSub

Dang if that's not the tire I have on the truck now. If you've had good success plowing with those, I'll just re-up when the time comes. Thanks much.