1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western HTS no power to handheld

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 2007gmchts, Feb 25, 2011.

1. 2007gmchts

2007gmchts Junior Member
    from MN

Can anyone help? I have a hts that was totaled in a accident. I bought a new blade and mount and re used the electricals. I hooked everything up and went to test it. Right away the handheld lit up and worked. It moved the plow side to side and up and down. The only trouble I had was the parking lights didnt work. I swapped the 4 pin battery connectors thinking they were hooked up wrong. After that the handheld wouldnt work. I checked all fuses I could find and all ok. Could I have fried the controller?

2. Ozark Hillbilly

Ozark Hillbilly Member
    from Misery

Don't know the particulars of how you did your installation but have you checked for an inline fuse to the controller? May well be under the dash if not seen in the controller cable showing underhood.

3. 2007gmchts

2007gmchts Junior Member
    from MN

Thanks for the reply. I looked for a inline fuse, and didnt find one. I did get the controller to power up. I don't know how but it works. All I did was coil the cable up the way they were. I'm guessing there's a broken wire somewhere. Now I'm stuck with the headlights. I can get the parking lights and the turn signals to work, but nothing for headlights. I can hear the Iso. module clicking when I plug and unplug but just can't get the lights to switch over.

4. Ozark Hillbilly

Ozark Hillbilly Member
    from Misery

Glad you got it running. Does sound likely that it is a bad wire. Funny that it does not have a fuse to the controller. I would want one anyway, especially on something going through the firewall.

Kind of a dumb question but are you sure the headlights themselves work? Bulbs break easier than plow blades.

5. 2007gmchts

2007gmchts Junior Member
    from MN

Well, 1 am and its finally done. Turns out the body shop had all the wires crossed. I should have torn it all out and started from the begining! Oh well it's done and ready to go for tomorrow. Thanks for your help Ozark Hillbilly!
    The body shop did change put the wrong headlight in the truck though. I thought the passanger side looked a little dim. Just a little heads up... Snow plow, saturns and ice make for a late night!!!