1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western/hiniker

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by DAZ982500, Feb 22, 2006.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

Work load is 25 driveways I am thinking of purchasing a new set up for next year.I have a MYER 7.5 E47 at the present.I have had several problems this year with this pump.I want to know what you opinions of these blades are, based on your opinions.I am choosing these due to proximity to dealer and serviceability.Thanks Dave

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Only have plowed with Western with very minimal problems. A back-drag edge either facorty or fabricated would help for drives. On a single axle truck (I'm assuming 3/4 ton) I would say 8' wide to cover turns. What type of vehicle is this going on? Are you going to purchase new or used??

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

I have e 47 pumps that are 20 years old and still going strong , minor repairs over the years , they work and make me money

4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe just a thourough, good re-build of the E-47. A lot cheaper than new plows.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The E-47 is no prize winner but it's sure easy to work on. If your doing 25 driveways and the plow's been servicing you well except for minor hydraulic problems, rebuild the pump. Unless you do this kind of work regularly it can be worth taking it to an experienced tech with the proper gages and the knowledge of how to use them. A rebuild is wasted if the pump only throws 1600 lbs or you can't adjust the pressure relief. If it costs 150 plus parts it's a lot more cost effective then a complete new plow. Unless your getting a new truck, then I'd buy a new plow. at least 8' on a 3/4 ton single rear wheel. Get a plow prep package to protect your warranty

6. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

,The truck is a Dodge 2500 1998.The plow came with truck it is about 7yrs old.I maintain it well but need it to work when it snows.I have no problem rebuilding it if it will be dependable.So this is the problem.No, I don't want to spend 4000.00 dollars on new plow but I also don't want to keep having these problems on a regular basis.I will check on the cost of rebuilding too. What I have done is flush/refill system annually, replaced values, lifting rod replaced and new motor soleinoid. Maybe I am giving up to easy.Thanks Dave.

7. Mdirrigation

Grab a spare pump , you can probably find one for sale on this site , then rebuild 1 or both . When you have a problem during a storm all you do is switch pumps , takes about 15 minutes. The e 47 is a reliable pump , but like anything mechanical it will break eventually. I carry 2 pumps while plowing running 4 trucks , I have never needed both but I am prepared. New isnt necessarly better , a friend of mine runs a blizzard , its second season, plowed with it 5 times total. Our last storm something fried on the power unit and melted a bunch of his wires. I lent him a spare truck to finish his work .

8. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I live in upstate NY and located a guy in Maryland that will either rebuild your pump from totally dissembled to completly rebuilt.Or, he will send you a completly rebuilt pump in exhange for your pump.The amount 400.00 dollars.Guy seems honest.Matt I agree with your point 2 is better than 1.I guess I could investigate just buying 2nd with him or trying to by off EBAY and then investigate this pump for problems and hope their is minimal problems at a low price. Any thoughts on this deal.Dave

9. Mdirrigation

400 isnt bad for a total rebuild including parts. Who is the guy in Maryland , Thats where I live .

10. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

The best thing you can do to that E-47 is convert it to an E-57. I converted my E-47 last year and couldn't be happier!!! The kit cost me $300 and was worth every penny!!!!!

11. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

MATT the guys name in Maryland is Lee @ (301) 392-0282 call him for more information.As far as an upgrade to E57 what was involved with this.Were do you get kit what changes did you need to make.Dave

12. LordOfTheSith

LordOfTheSith Member

I love my Western, it has been a very good purchase and is now 8 years old and works great. My only beef with Western is the whole moldboard trips, especially in heavy deep snow. I wish Western would offer a setup where the cutting edge trips instead. I have a friend who has a Hiniker and although I am a Western loyalist, I will say the Hiniker was nice and plowed great. But it is just my opinion that Western makes the best plows for the money!

LOTS