1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western help please

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by NYplowboy, Nov 25, 2006.

1. NYplowboy

NYplowboy Member

I recently traded my 1/2 ton chevy with a fisher minute mount 2 RD, for a 3/4 ton GMC with a western 7.5 ultra mount. My problem is that the western wont raise anywhere near as high as the fisher did, this is a BIG concern with some of the driveway entrances i do. Any suggestions on how to get thing up in the air more?
    I realize that the mounting brackets are a lot lower on the western. thanks

2. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

Drop the plow and push the lifting ram down, then move your chains up higher on the ram, that will make it so the plow comes up higher.

3. killakane138

killakane138 Junior Member

shoulda bought a unimount bro

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I'd say the first mistake was getting rid of the Fisher, but hey that's just my opinion (like Dennis Miller -- I could be wrong!) ;)

5. The Beastmaster

The Beastmaster Junior Member

Western help

In this order.
    1. check the hydraulic fluid level
    2. push the ram all the way down and cinch up the chain to the tighest link possible
    3. check to see that the lift stops on the mount are not set to the lowest setting. If so loosen them up and turn them to allow more lift. Just check the western site online manual for the proper set up position. The stops have four positions. Hope this helps.

6. MStine315

MStine315 Senior Member

I'm not sure what year GMC it is, but I bought a used ultramount that had been on a Ford. On my '02 Chevy I had to take the lift stop off all together-per Western web site.

7. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

the stop is only if your truck is on the high side, check your height if the stop is on there, might not need it.