1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Help Please

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NY Bobcat S250, Mar 2, 2005.

1. NY Bobcat S250

NY Bobcat S250 Junior Member

Whats up guys, I am wondering if someone can point me in the right direction in trying to fix an old plow. Right now i am currently running 2 brand new Boss plows on F550's which have not had any problems yet. The problem is with a 1987 ford pickup with a 7foot 6 western conventional mount and joystick control. The problem is that one of my guys in the last storm had lifted the plow and he didnt realize the joystick was stuck in the up position for approx 30 second or so (he realized when he smeltburning ) As of now the plow only went down and it has no lift or angle. Where should i look. I have no idea on how this plow works. :dizzy: It seems very different than my newer bosses. Thank you very much for your time.

2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Can you still hear the motor running? The motor comes off with two bolts. You can take the motor off and test it using a battery charger also. The motor should spin, if it doesn't you can either take the motor apart like I'm doing and testing everything. If everything tests out good, clean everything and put it back together and try it. Otherwise plow pump motors for the westerns are like 100 bucks at a car parts store. I know ours has them. If the motor works then you've got worse problems but I'm guessing it just burned up the motor, which is kinda the "best" thing because it's easier to replace the motor, since it uses two bolts then it is to mess with the other stuff.

3. NY Bobcat S250

OK after a lil toolin around i come to find out that if i move the joystick i hear clicking from ithe selonoid. If i jump the selonoid and move the joystick i can here the motor running but still no movement . but some smoke came out of the joystick ....Please help lol :cry: :( :realmad:

4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

We talking unimount here?
    It has the joystick with only wires coming out of it.

Or are we talking about the conventional?
    It has a long handle on the joystick, and cables.
    This setup the headgear (headlights and stuff) stay on the truck when you dismount the blade.

The troubleshooting of the pump is a little different.

On the unimount the solenoid on the truck engages in up down left and right to run the pump motor.
    Then a valve is opened (electrically) in the hydraulic system to direct flow to the appropriate function.

On the cable driven conventional system the solenoid again activates the pump but the cables move valves to direct the hydraulic flow to the appropriate function.

Let us know which setup you have and we can help you better.

5. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Stuck joystick

My buddies had exactly that happen to their topkick. Was the older conventional mount cable operated. I will find out tomorrow (if I remember to ask) and will let you know what happened to theirs. I know that their joystick stuck and just about burnt the truck up! Was an hourly guy driving for them. Same guy just exploded the rear end in that truck. (I'm thinking he needs lessons?!) I guess it could be kind of my fault as I was supposed to be that guy, but things fell apart and had to get my truck back up and running.

Jeff

6. NY Bobcat S250

The setup that i have is the conventional one where the lights stay on the truck with the big ugly joystick inside. :) Thanks for the help thus far and hopefully i get get this straightened out. From what the guy told me that happened was that smoke started coming out of the joystick and thats when he realized it was stuck in the up position.

7. NY Bobcat S250

back to the top :redbounce

8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I do not see how smoke could be coming out of the joystick... On the older conventional setups the joystick only had cables on them. Or maybe I am wrong on this. Have you checked for a broken or loose cable??

9. NY Bobcat S250

Going in to the joysick there is 2 cables and 1 black wire, from what i can see this thin black wire goes from the control out to the selonoid under the hood.

10. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Check that black wire and the cables to make sure they are not grounded out a buddy of mine had one of the cables rub through and caught the truck on fire in the middle of a mall parking lot when he was using it.