1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Headlight Wiring quick respone please!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by wishingtoplow, Sep 29, 2007.

1. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

I have a western unimount hooked up to my 91 chevy with the dual headlights. I have all the lights hooked up but the headlights. Someone told me that i could get around buying an adapter for the headlights since they did not come with one. I have spliced 4 wires into the tan and light green wires on the driver side fender. I have 2, 5 spade terminal relays. on one relay i have 2 light green, a brown, orange/black/ and a white. on the other one i have the same but replace the light green with tan. i have to unhook a black that was hooked up for these to fit in. now, the plow lights did not work after this. UNTIL i plugged in the 2 prong power cable, and with the parking lights on my plow headlights are on. I unhooked the 2 light green, and the 2 tan wires from the relays, and the plow headlights are still on, but as soon as you unplug the 2 prong wiring harness the lights go out and just the marker lights are left on the plow. Can someone please help me understand what i did wrong here or can draw a diagram of the relays saying which color wires i need going to each. I dont understand why i have to have 2 wires from each low and high beam going to the relays. Sorry for the long post but any help is appreciated.

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Ok, looking at the wiring diagram for a unimount.. you should have the following (if not using a adaptor plug)

one from the low beam (tan) (I would splice this in or use one of them clips that just lays the wire along side without cutting it) running to the relay spot #30. A brown wire running from the plug to the relay spot #86 (you also should have a brown wire to tap into your parking lights, it should be near the grey or purple wires for the turn signals). A black wire from the plow connector running to spot 87. And the black/orange one to spot 85.

now for the high beam, same thing except the green wire from the high replaces the tan wire and the white wire from the plug replaces the black wire. note the black/orange wire jumps from 1 relay to the next then goes to the plug.

spot 87a on the relays will not be used because you do not have an adaptor kit.

hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The only problem with wiring it that way (without using the 87A pin) is theirs no way to switch between the truck lights and the plow lights, when you connect the plow..both the truck and plow lights will be on at the same time..

4. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

very true, I forgot to mention that, but if i am correct ( I know I may not be), and he actually cuts the headlight wires and hooks them like this it should cancel the lights like it is supposed to.

wire from truck to spot 30, and hooks the headlight plug into spot 87a....

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:) Now you got it.. By tying the truck lights into the 87A pin (and braking the connection between the truck harness and the head lights), it will now allow the relays to switch between the truck lights to the plow lights..just like Western intended.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  6. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

yeah, its been 2 years since I looked at mine. Had to do something similar...