1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western headlight wiring on 01 3500

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sedorbrian, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Sedorbrian

Sedorbrian Junior Member

Ok I'm trying to wire up the light harness on my truck. Truck is a 2001 silverado 3500 (round body style) and the harness is a plug in type (9 pin, no isolation module) for a western plow. When wired in, the driver side works fine but the passenger side has both high and low beams when the low beams are switched on, and no beams when the high beams are switched on (in other words, the high beam is not working correctly on the passenger side) Also, this harness takes power from the driver side only and takes it to the passenger side, so there are only two female ends and they are on the driver side.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

How many relays are there

3. Sedorbrian

Sedorbrian Junior Member

2 relays. I think this is the wrong harness now. I think the one I have is for pre 99

4. dieselss

What kinda head lights? If it's the sealed beams.....there all the same

5. Sedorbrian

Sedorbrian Junior Member

I dont know what kind of beams, but theres a bulb for high, and a bulb for low. The high beam had an hb3 or something stamped on it

6. dieselss

Dual beams. So you should have 2 connectors per side
    Westernplows.com....library.....unimount mechanic guide

7. Sedorbrian

Sedorbrian Junior Member

I have 2 connectors per side on the truck, but the plow light harness only has female sides on the driver side, male on both sides. I think the one I need should have 2 male and 2 female on both sides.

8. dieselss

9. dieselss

Is this the diagram your needing?

tmp_29245-Screenshot_2015-08-25-05-57-24-1822294534.jpg

10. Sedorbrian

Sedorbrian Junior Member

No that's not the diagram. My truck is a 2001. I just picked up what I am told is the correct harness, number on the tag is 26071. Both sides plug in to the headlights just fine but I do not know what to do with the loose ends that connect to the relays. I looked at the wiring diagram and there are 6 relays but I don't see any on the truck. There's a red, yellow, orange, green, and pink with 2 ends. Tried to upload pics but failed.

11. dieselss

Ok, I'm not understanding what lights/relays you have. First you said 2 lights, and that was the diagram. Now your saying it's not.

Search for how to upload pics.

12. Sedorbrian

Sedorbrian Junior Member

What do you mean 2 lights

13. dieselss

I dont know what kind of beams, but theres a bulb for high, and a bulb for low.

Means to me 2 separate bulbs. One for low, one for hi.

14. Sedorbrian

Sedorbrian Junior Member

Yes that's what I have. The new harness has 2 male and 2 female plugs on each side (driver and passenger).

15. dieselss

So then the wiring diagram is correct?
    Did you try and search for your correct diagram from the western website?

16. Sedorbrian

Sedorbrian Junior Member

17. dieselss

That harness is a nightmare.
    It might have been better to get the isolation model set up.

You need to wire all those in. Taping into your trucks turn signals and drls. It's not a fun job

18. dieselss

19. Sedorbrian

Sedorbrian Junior Member

Figured it out finally. Not much tapping in, but 2 relays are not used with the discontinuation of the DEL module. Got it working now.