1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western has officially lost my future business (Sorry for the long post)

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by KM81, Feb 15, 2012.

1. KM81

KM81 Member

So after flipping back and forth between the HTS and Snowdogg MD75 for my Jeep, I decided to buy the HTS, because I have used only Western products my entire career. We use the Jeep specifically for city residential's, because its impossible to fit anything bigger in 95% of them.

Now let me start off by saying that I am an ASE Certified Technician with an AOS in Automotive Service from Alfred State College. That being said, I don't like it when other people work on my vehicles and equipment.

So I went to my Western Dealer, and wanted to purchase the HTS cash & carry. Well the dealer told me that Western wouldn't warranty the plow unless it was installed by a dealer, because the dealers are "certified to install them, and go through rigorous training to ensure they are done correctly" (Sure they are)

So in the end I let the dealer install it for me. I went to pick the plow up and everything looked good, and functioned as it should (So I thought) Before I left, I asked the dealer about how to activate the scrape lock function. He looked at me with a very confused look and said "Huh? Im not sure what you mean." I explained to him that the HTS has a scrape lock function and showed it to him in the brochure. He had no clue. (I ended up finding out when I got home by reading the owners manual.) This was my first red flag.

The next day, I was out doing fall cleanups and had to go do an estimate at a potential clients' house that I hadn't been to before. I plugged my GPS into my cigarette lighter and it didn't work. Tried the other power outlet, and that didn't work either. Come to find out that when the dealer installed the jumper on the fuse for the controller, he pulled the power outlet fuse out to make room for the jumper clip on the controller fuse blade. and never put it back in. Second red flag.

So we haven't had much snow this year, and the Jeep has been out to plow twice. (The Jeeps route has 26 city driveways) Last week when we got our first real snowfall (13") I went out at 3am and went to Dunkin Donuts to grab a coffee before starting my route. when I came out with my coffee I noticed a bunch of blue fluid in the snow under my plow. Awesome. Come to find out the fitting that attaches the hydraulic hose to the angle cylinder was over tightened and stripped out. I checked the fluid and it was damn near empty. I had some fluid in the truck and filled it back up and drove to the dealer because when I purchased the plow he told me "If its snowing, were open 24 hours for service work." I thought no problem, Ill have him throw a new angle cylinder on it and ill be back on the road in no time. WRONG.

I got to the dealer and showed him the problem and he proceeded to tell me that its going to be $79 + the cost of the part. I asked why it was not covered by the warranty, and he told me that Western's warranty does not cover after hours service, and if I wanted it covered that I would have to come back at 8am when it was normal business hours. SERIOUSLY? By now its almost 4am. So basically, instead of just taking the 10 minutes to fix it, he wanted me to wait 4 hours and come back. I was furious. So I just went out and did my route, while stopping to fill the fluid up every 4-5 driveways or so.

Congratulations Western. You have officially lost a customer
  2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I think it's a dealer issue you're having, I wouldn't peg it on Western. Just remember that if it were a boss or hiniker that dealer sold you, you'd probably have the same complaint, can't really blame the manufacturer. JMO Think maybe a rap on the knuckles from western might set him straight.
  3. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

What's the next closest dealer?

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

X2 on not being Westerns fault. Like I say it isn't as much brand that is important it's the service the dealer can provide, by the sounds of it you would have been better off with a 2x12 bolted to the bumper
  5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

You can't blame Western for a dealer's lack of customer service and lack of knowledge on their product...

Sounds like you need to call Western and have a chat with them about this dealer.
  6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I've heard stories about dealers that are quite similar to yours. It's the dealer with the issue, and not the product, which others have said.

It's your obligation to contact western directly, and rat the bastards out. Take photographs of all your woes, document everything in a timeline, and make it presentable to Western directly.

If this dealer gives a snot about selling more Western products, he'll do something about it...as fast as the Western Rep contacts them by...

Good luck.

Keep us posted......

and BTW, you should post who the dealer is so that no one here patronizes them if they don' t do you right.
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with everyone else. More of the dealer screwing up ,but it's also the manufacturers job to check on these dealers so this doesn't happen.

PS,I don't recall any 13 inch snow last week.
  8. KM81

KM81 Member

I sent Western an email yesterday, and haven't heard back yet. Its going to be interesting to see what they say. The fact of the matter is its the manufacturers responsibility to ensure their dealers are taking care of the customers as best they can, and ultimately its the manufacturer who is going to suffer because of the dealers shortcomings. The other Western dealer is on the other side of the city from me, and although its only about a 30 minute drive, it sucks because my current dealer is 2 blocks from my house.

@Grandview, we got between 7-15" depending on where you live on Sat-Sun. It was actually pretty interesting. I had about 8" at my house, and less than a 1/2 mile away there was 15" Gotta love lake effect!
  9. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Yup, def a dealer issue!
  10. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

If western gives you a hard time when they contact you let them know that you made your problems with western products known on a large and well know snowplow forum. I have nothing against western but thatll set a fire under their ass!
  11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

THis guy has a point, to an extent. Western won't warranty the plow if a dealer doesn't install it. If this is true, then they have a responsibility to make sure their dealers know every feature to every plow.

Sure, a fitting can get screwed up during installation, and for that, the dealer is a jerk.

Based on the SE MI thread, if the dealer's name is posted, it will disappear faster than a snowflake in hell.
  12. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

that's not true though. the dealer misinformed this customer. Western will not refuse warranty just because the plow was installed by the end user. As far as Western not covering overtime labor, that's true, but that's where the dealer has an obligation to take care of his customer as best he can. We do repairs ALL the time when our mechanics are on overtime, but we don't expect the customer to pay extra because of it.

Neal Redding, parts mgr, Truck Equipment Inc, Des Moines IA
  13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks, that's why I put a disclaimer in my post.
  14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

This is so a dealer issue. Western cannot be responsible for the performance of all their independent dealers nor do they require dealer install to honor warranty. No they will not pay a premium for labor but as the earlier post mentioned that is on the dealer to do so to provide good customer relations. I could see the dealer refusing to do midnight repairs on a unit purchased at another location but to have sold and installed a unit and then treat the customer that way is not going to build their reputation at all.

Seems most likely a dealer error to begin with, I'd bet DD will honor the warranty but it was probably not their fault.
  15. KM81

KM81 Member

I worded the original post wrong. I am not blaming Western for the problems. I agree that this is a dealer issue. But in the end, it is Western that is losing a customer because of their dealer.
    I have never seen a plow in the crate before it is assembled so I dont know if it is the dealer who installs the fitting or if it comes already attached to the cylinder from the manufacturer. Its not the actual 45* angle fitting that is leaking, its the part under the fitting in the cylinder. Hard to explain (ill post a pic in a minute)

I think the thing that pissed me off the most was the fact that I was the only one in the place, and the guy was going to be sitting there all night anyway. In the time it took him to argue with me about how he wouldn't fix it, he could have just fixed it. But instead he would rather sit there drinking coffee and playing on his computer instead of helping someone that just paid $4500 for a new plow.
  16. Kopper10

Kopper10 Sponsor

Hi KM81. My name is Jeff Kopp and I work at Western. It sounds like a very frustrating situation and I would like to try and help. Could you please let me know to what e-mail address you sent your comments? Or, you can send me your contact information directly to jkopp@westernplows.com. I will look into the situation and and get you some feedback.

Take care.
  17. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Jeff is exactly the guy I would refer for this. He helped me with a dealer. I'm glad to see him post, he will take care of your best interest. I didn't think it my place to throw his name out there (under the bus). Great to see them following up of their own volition. Hi Jeff...:waving:
  18. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Hate to say it but as much as I like Westerns I hear similar things from others that deal with the dealers. I know some of the installers and would bet that they are not "certified"!
  19. Kopper10

Kopper10 Sponsor

Hi Mr. Markus! Thanks for the kind words; and it is good to hear from you. Please feel free to throw my email out to anyone that you think I might be able to help. Thanks! :waving:
  20. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

If i was in his shoes and i was at that dealer at 3 am and they werent fixing my brand new plow for FREE i would have killed someone. How can they sit back and expect someone to pay for something that was their fault? Iam so mad just reading this thread!! I would have stayed calm for about 15 seconds after the fact they told me theyre not fixing their eff up and would have went ape sh!t on them until my plow got fixed or they called the cops on me
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012