1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western handheld

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by snowplowpro, Nov 3, 2011.

1. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

my handheld shuts off as soon as you hit the up or left or right button but my joystick works and my handheld works in my friends truck

what could it be

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Could be a bad connection on the red ignition wire that goes to the control cable. Follow the controller wire under the dash until you see where the red wire splits off, it should tie into your fuse panel or somewhere that provides 12V ignition power. Put a test light on that wire and see if it goes dim when you hit one of the controller buttons. If it goes dim then find a better power source. There are many other possibilites but you haven't told us what kind of plow it is. V plow, straight blade, uni / ultra mount, relay light control, isolation module, three or four port isolation module. There are so many curcuits that I can't help you with more than the ignition wire thing.

3. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

its a 7.6 unimount straight blade western

4. mishnick

Still say it sounds like the ignition wire. Some people use these little things that hook under an existing fuse in the fuse box. I have seen them do what you describe when the fuse is not pushed down tight. You could try using a jumper straight from the battery and hook it onto that red wire after you cut and strip it back a bit. If that clears it up then you know your ignition wire is not well connected. If it still fails then we need to look at other options.

5. geereed

geereed Senior Member

I had the same problem and it was the solenoid that was bad. Got one at NAPA and it works fine now. The second i would hit a button on the controller it would just shut off.

6. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Was this handheld on this truck before, or did you just get rid of the joystick and plug in the handheld?? Reason I ask is in mis/late 90's there were some wiring harness built that did'nt have the extra groun for the joystick. There is a service bulletin describing how to add the ground if this is your situation.

7. mishnick

I doubt that your problem could be the actual main relay / solenoid. Geereed, when you corrected your problem by replacing the solenoid you probably had a bad conection at the positive terminal of the solenoid which provides power to the system all the time. This wire, like the iglnition, could be the problem. When you replaced the solenoid you inadvertantly eliminated this bad connection.