1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western handheld controller ? on 08 Silverado HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mossman381, Nov 29, 2009.

1. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I have a question about the red wire that powers the controller in the cab. I have it plugged into a switched power source(no power until the key is on). My question is do I have to fuse that wire? I have the handheld controller and on my older chevy the red wire had a fuse in-line. I remember when I bought the controller, I had to replace the 10 amp fuse with a 5 amp fuse. The instructions don't say anything about putting a fuse on that line. I think the pin I am connected to has a 10 amp fuse, but I think that is too high. I don't want to burn up my $250 controller. Thanks for the help.
  2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Yes, fuse it..... you can either use an inline or a pigtailed like shown here.

3. mossman381

Thanks, I will fuse it. Maybe they don't put a fuse on it because it is easier to run it throught the firewall without it. The older harnesses come with a fuse on the wire.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you're running an Isolation system the controller is already protected by the inline fuses at the Iso. The switched ignition red wire doesn't go directly to the controller, it goes to the Iso first. Thats why Western didn't feel the need to include a fuse in the red wire. But there's certainly nothing wrong with using one anyway.
  5. mossman381

I don't really want to run a fuse that I don't need. I do have the 3 port iso system. I am putting a unimount plow on my 08 HD. I have converted my plow to a 3 plug. If the red wire doesn't go directly to the controller, fusing it won't do me any good. Most people must be running the handheld controller now, so I think mine should be ok without a fuse. Thanks for the info.