1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western hand held controller issues

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Bigford0707, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Bigford0707

Bigford0707 Junior Member

Hi i have a western ultramount plow on a superduty with a 3 port isolation module, My issue, is with my hand held controller. I can power on the controller and operate the plow, and a few seconds later the controller shuts off and i have to hit the power button again to turn the controller back on. For some reason i can not keep the controller lit. Now im new with this plow and i bought it used, and just installed on my truck per the western instructions. I used the 12v accessorie like the manual asked for the hand held controller! Im stuck on why the controller quits shutting off on me. Well any info would be great and you guys in these forums really know you stuff.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Sound like your control is timing out too fast.

After 20 of idle, the control will shut off. After that time, to reactivate just press press the on and off

If you just turn it on then 10 or more seconds later shut off, there might be a problem with the hand held controller PC board..

Did this just started??

Try turning it on again, and time it to see when it shut down.

U also hook it to a "accessory" (key on , the power light comes on after you push the on button) with the fuse holder.

Or did hit hook the power wire (red wire) direct with out the fuse??

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  3. twinman326

what year is the vehicle, and what kind of plow??

The more info, the better we can try to resolve the problem.

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

bad connection somewhere. is there a fuse holder inline on the red wire? if it is the spring loaded glass type, that is your problem.

5. Bigford0707

controller

sorry i can give more detailed info it is a western ultramount plow on a Ford f-350 2001, i bought the plow used. im going to recheck the accessory wire make sure i have good contact and replace fuse holder as well. Im using the 12v accessory wire running to the radio ( 12v when key is on and 0v when key is off ). thanks for the info and i will get back too you guys.

6. twinman326

That really should be on it own power "accessory"post in the fuse box, not the radio!!!

7. te snow

te snow Member

I had somewhat the same problem at times. When I hit a button on the controller the controller would shut off. If this your problem try checking the solenoid connections. I checked the connections and found one of the nuts on the solenoid to be loose and tightned it about 1/8 of a turn. Surprisingly this fixed my problem and all it took was 1/8 turn. Good Luck and Merry Christmas.

8. twinman326

True, check all your connections, plus the black/orange ground wire..

9. Bigford0707

well it must of been a loose connection on the solenoid b/c i double checked everything else and i found that i has a little play on the postive wire nut on the post of the solenoid everything is working properly some im definitly ready for some snow, not this rain ughhh..

10. twinman326

Glad your problem is fix..loose connections will do it all the time..Merry Xmas