1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western guys

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by exmark, Jul 3, 2010.

1. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Hey guys I just posted a forum in the boss section just like this one. My questions are what are your pros and cons with your western plows. I have heard good things and bad things. But the one thing on my mind when choosing a plow is dealer support and I have heard bad things about the local dealer here, things like when it comes to warranties and basic dealer support or what not. So my questions are how has your western plow held up over the years and what kind of problems have you had with it if any? Thanks

2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

I LOVE MY WESTERN PLOW IT NEVER GAVE ME ANY PROBLEMS I WILL ALWAYS BY WESTERN AS LONG AS THEY KEEP MAKING THEM ALL MY FRIENDS HAVE WESTERNS AND NOTHING ELSE .MOST OF THE LANDSCAPERS AROUND HERE USE WESTERN THE TOWNSHIPS USE THEM AND ALOT OF THE DEALERSHIPS HAVE THEM ON THE NEW TRUCKS READY TO SELL .
    WESTERN BEEN AROUND FOR A WHILE AND THEY MAKE A PRETTY TOUGH PIECE OF EQUIPMENT IT ALSO FALLS ON YOU AND TAKING CARE OF IT TO BUT I HIT SOME PRETTY HARD THINGS AND MY PLOW HAS HELD UP WELL NO COMPLAINTS FROM ME

THE WARRANTY IS WHAT WESTERN GIVES YOU NOT THE DEALER THEY JUST HAVE TO FIX IT UNDER WARRANTY FOR NOTHING AS LONG AS THE PART COVERED UNDER WARRANTY IT SHOULD TELL YOU IN THE OWNERS GUIDE

:mechanic:

3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I love the hook up system on the ultramount and how the pockets come off the truck in the sumertime. Tohse who don;t plow usually can't tell you have a plow on it. The pivot bolt on the ultramount pro plus are pretty beefy. Peronal preference put I like having a lifting chain, in case of a breakdown. Not sure but I belive the pro plus blade is taller than bosses. I really haven't had to many problems with it it has been used commercially used for five years; new motor and pump ( didn't get to the motor fast enough and it arched the pump out) solenoid, and hoses and a couple of cutting edges lol. I don't feel anything has worn prematurely. The only other thing I did was put longer pins in the holes and weld bushigs around all of the holes. Now if the holes get ovaled out cut bushing off and repalce with a new pin and bushing, seems to really help keep everything tihgt.

4. exmark

exmark Senior Member

The plan was to get a new 8.6 mvp plow, but some of the locals were complaining about some things on the plow and the dealer. The dealer problems I think they didn't want to warrantee a lot of things because the kept saying it was to abused. But I just talked to a local company who runs bosses and westerns and they said both are basically the same except the new western has a button that you can lock in vee blade mode when you are plowing a bunch of snow where the boss will start to open from vee mode and get straighter, rather then stay in vee the whole time which seems nice to know.

5. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

They're on dope...

No such button on any of my new Western vee's. :confused:

The only real similarity between a Boss and a Western is that they are both red. Other than that they are very different. The mounting systems, hydraulic systems, and lift systems are completely different. Each brand's individual system has it's pros and cons. Personally, I own quite a few Westerns, and have had great luck with them for many years. I prefer their design and operating characteristics. That's my opinion, and I leave it at that... no sense in re-igniting the "plow brand war". :D

6. snowplowpro

from NJ

dealer problems

i mean if you hear bad things about a specific dealer how far is next dealer can you look it up and see maybe theres another one a town or two away even if you have to travel a little to the next dealer if you dont feel right going to that dealer . westernplows.com should be able to tell you dealers in your area.

7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

My first Western conventional straight blade served me well for 10 HARD seasons
    out here in lake effect land without more than a few new hoses and a annual fluid
    change! Sold it to my bud in 2000 and hes STILL running it ! It outlasted 3 new trucks!
    In 2000 I got a Western ultra straightblade and haven't had any problems again with
    only annual fluid changes and a little PM bolt tightning. Its been on my 01 and 04s
    and currently my 07.

NO complaints here!

8. MikeA5150

MikeA5150 Member

Both Western and Boss are great plows, I just bought a new Western and although only used it a couple of times due to lack of snow I really like it. The only thing I didnt like about the Boss was how low the frame was on my truck and the hydraulics seem much faster on my new plow vs. my friends new Boss. Both plows are straight blades and again just my opinion. If you dont really have a preferance go with whatever dealer is going to give you the best price and support.

9. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

I love my western, I have a pro plus. Best thing Ive ever brought. I only plowed with it 4 times, but the thing is a best. My local western dealer, helps me with anything I need!

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have a2004 Western 8.6 pro plus w/wings Been good only replace controller once and had to reinforce the tree mount
    I have 09 MPV Plus 9.6 w/wings I had to replace the lift value under warranty at a dealer that I didnt buy from
    I have 1 1980 8' western cable style plows I bought new only replace few angle rams and rebuild the pump few times Its still going out lasted 3 trucks

The new ultra mount is nice like others said you can remove the plow horn and get you clearance back
    I own a Boss Vplow Its ok But I wont buy one again After owning a MPV There nothing that compare to a MPV

11. igloo_kid

igloo_kid Junior Member

First off, I love my 8'6" Western MVP Plus plow very much. I've owned it since 2007, plowed a ton of snow with it and haven't had a single thing wrong with it. The only money spent on my plow was buying it and annual oil changes and thats it! Second, I live in Southeast Alaska where I see a lot of Western plows running around along with mine and would only suggest that someone would step up and become a dealer and have a nice shop to work on plows and where we can get parts easier since shipping can be a hassle at times due to our location. There is a Western dealer in Anchorage but Southeast is such a large area and is actually closer to Seattle than Anchorage but still a long ways to be dealing. As far as Western Plows, there's nothing else out there that is as reliable, durabe, efficient, dependable, and user friendly to use and mount on a truck! Sorry "Boss" but Southeast Alaska prefers Westerns instead!

12. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

exmark,I know the dealer your talking about. They actually are great guys there. they do warranty alot of stuff with no problems. My brother bought a vplow that they couldnt install onto his new suburban so I did it for him. after the first couple snows, the headlights started leaking water inside and freezing up shorting the lights out.
    He took it is there and they had no problem repairing the lights with no problem as a warranty repair even though they couldnt install the blade. I have seen some of the repair work stuff that does come through their, and you can tell alot is abuse over and over. I have also had them stay open late on a repair a couple yers go for about 2 hours so that I could pick up my truck. in my opinion, thats great service.
    I service scag mowers and have some customers that I see abuse all the time and charge to work on them and get a bad rep from that.

13. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

Western is a Great plow. I work the state transportation company with 140 plow trucks, and about half are Western. Meyers always go down for solenoids. The other problem I have is when vendors. When we get a new truck with a plow installed they butcher the wiring. I say" If i plowed I would buy Western, If I was a distributor I would sell Meyers. Myers are guaranteed repairs.
    Any question feel free to e-mail be to_buy@yahoo.com (western In subject line)

14. snowplowpro

from NJ

I love my western plow my two uncle's own western all my buddies own western we all swear by them no problems

15. Truarn

Truarn Junior Member

Love my Western 8 ft. Poly Pro with the Ultra mount. No problems for years, just do regular maintenance every spring.

16. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

As said alot on here dealer support is everything. It can make the worlds greatest plow a worthless thig in a hurry. I found that out with my hiniker the hard way. So I dont care if its red yellow white or purple it's not worth a pinch of sh*t if its not working properly. I just bought a western mvp 8.5 poly I buy a ton of ag parts and equipment through the place I got it.

17. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Having worked at a western dealer for six years perhaps I can shine a bit of light on the inside world..... I can't speak for Boss but I expect they suffer the same problems. I personally own a Western Wide-out and I think it's a great piece of machinery. I had one warranty issue but once I got past the dealer's resistance Western support was great. The biggest problem that I see with Western is the dealers, they are not actually owned by Western but are independent outfits that apply to become Western reps. Once they get started they quickly realize that the money is in the sales and service, warranty is a serious loss for them.
    When a new plow comes back with a warranty issue they get nothing for doing the troubleshooting, then once the tech has figured out what he needs to do the dealer only gets paid for the time it takes for an experienced plow mechanic to do the repair under ideal conditions. One example I recall was on a Wide-out with wing pressure relief spring problems. The wings would intermittently leak back from scoop to straight. After exhausting my suspicions I talked to tech support who told me to clean out the pressure relief valves (there are four) and readjust them. Well if you know Wide-outs you will know this means removing the hydro unit, remove the shroud, reinstall the hydro, do the adjustment, remove the hydro, replace the shroud and then send it out hoping it won't come back. I did this three times at about four hours a shot. Finally Western explained that they had gone to a different spring manufacturer and the newer, cheaper pressure relief springs where causing the problem. They gave us new springs and paid about two hours labor time to install and adjust them. No compensation for the previous time invested. I didn't care as I got paid by the hour but the dealer lost big time. Then to add insult to injury the warranty administrator complained that the time required to do all the paperwork for the warranty took more time than the final repair. This is very similar to car dealerships I have worked at where they pay only 75% of the retail time for warranty repairs. That means that a flat rate tech makes less money doing warranty so they get put to the back burner and only get done when there is nothing else to do. In any case the system discourages dealers from wanting to do warranty because they loose their shirts. At my shop they generally made the customer pay for the labor and parts up front, then they put in for the warranty and credited or refunded the amount that Western compensated. This always took weeks and rarely covered the actual total cost. Needless to say... the operator was the biggest looser because they are frustrated with the new plow that doesn't work and a dealer who is reluctant to give them the time and attention they need to get back on the job quickly.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013