1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western freezing up?????????

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by orionsoracle, Jan 16, 2009.

1. orionsoracle

orionsoracle Junior Member

I have a Western Mark III. I estimate it to be from around 1992. Last winter I had issues with it freezing up. I would take a torpedo heater on it for 5 minutes and it would work great. This past fall I disconnected the lower hoses and pumped all the fluid out. Replaced it with new,flushed and pumped all that fluid out. Then finally refilled it with new fluid that I bought at Fllet Farm. It is a snowplow low temp fluid. It still freezes up in cold temps. I wrap a 9ft heat tape and blanket it to warm it now. Question is why do I still have this problem? Could some moisture be possibly stuck in the valve body/spool causing this to freeze????? Help!!!!!!!!! Thank you for your time,,,,,honestly

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You more than likely have moisture in the system again. With the up and down temps that we have been having this winter you probably got the moisture through normal condensation but it is also possible that you have a bad seal someplace and it is drawing in moistrue through the seal. Obviously , if its not leaking fluid it will be hard to tell what seal is going bad so for now, do a flush and fill again.

3. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

crash is right about the possibility of a bad seal. in my case i have an early 80's cable controlled one. some new grease inside the cable housings and a little bit of gasket sealer around the cable where it enters the housing has stopped all of our freezing problems. even with a leaking seal on the ram it doesn't freeze up now. we put a brand new controller on with brand new cables before this winter and figured we wouldn't need the gasket sealer cause of the new o-rings on the cables... wrong! it froze after the first rain storm, let it thaw out and added the gasket sealer just like we did last year and no more problems even threw the ice storms we've had :D hope this helps you some :salute:

4. orionsoracle

Thanks guys. I also spoke to a dealer here in Wisconsin and he said that the gasket between the motor and pump could very well be my source of moisture. He said they are made of cork and dont last more than a few years. He suggested I disconnect my line and cycle as much fluid out as I can,then remove the motor/pump assembly and seperate the motor. Check the filter,and clean it as needed. Most likely its a screw in type filter,and he said those are hard to find. Any help with that would be appreciated. Then wipe down the reservoir and reinstall a new gasket with some Permatex,,etc. What do you guys think? Worth doing???????? Thanks agaim

5. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

you're welcome :)

it's never gonna hurt to have fresh fluid and new gaskets. to change the filter you have to pull the pump out of the housing. not a big deal just do you really wanna do that in the middle of winter if it's been working fine when it's not frozen? we just went to our local part store and got a roll of gasket paper when we did ours. as far as getting the proper parts go i've dealt with central parts warehouse, professional parts warehouse and, http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/348_western_hydraulic_unit.html <-- that should be the link for the western cable unit page. i've never gotten anything from them before but this link has stuff too. http://www.rustrepair.com/snow_plow_parts/onlinecat.htm?r=sn&p=sn-western

i'm surprised more people haven't offered opinions and/or advice as everyone i've ever known with one of these pumps has it freeze at least once on them lol. hope you get everything straightened out :salute:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  6. orionsoracle

Thanks Skynyrd!!!!!

Thanks again. One question though. You called this a cable system,which it is not. That shouldnt have any bearing on the moisture problem Right? Now on my lift cylinder I have a packing nut,that should also be considered my seal? I take it that the seals on my directional cylinders are a pretty easy fix with a kit. Ever do that repair? Any advice would be great. thanks muchussmileyflag

7. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

ok you must have the newer solenoid version then. you said mark III and i know that's what my casings all say on them. i should have thought to ask if it was cable or not so for that i apologize. anyway you're right, the packing nuts would be considered a seal. different people prolly call them different things but they do from some kind of seal. the one on the lift ram is the one i need to have replaced as mine is leaking pretty bad. if yours isn't leaking any fluid i personally wouldn't worry about it but at the same time someone else probably would have a different opinion. i've never done the seal change but my dad says it's a pain in the rear. others will prolly say it's a piece of cake though. wish i could be more help to you in this area but there has to be someone on here who can help you better. worst case scenario you could always make it threw this winter with it then bring it in for servicing? hopefully someone else with better knowledge will see this and be able to help you out :)

take care and stay warm! ussmileyflag

8. westernbud

westernbud Junior Member
    from ct

you need to change fluid in entire system anually to help avoid these kind of problems.Ive had westerns for 25 years and never had a problem.

9. maple-guy

maple-guy Member

Brand new Pro Plus plow here with original Western 'special' fluid, I was going to use it for the 5th time this 'very cold' morning. -33 Celsius (-27 Fahrenheit). Plow would not come up after starting the truck. I could hear the relay going crazy but anything requiring some force would not work. I had to help it up a little. Once up, I could tilt it left and right perfectly since it required less force. I attributed that to the cold, was I right?

We'll see tomorrow; it is supposed to be hotter.

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

put some dry gas in there i do that

11. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you can change the fluid,clean the filter,flush the rams in 30 minutes. easy as pie.
    ever take a cold beer outside on a hot day? see the water running off the can? your plow reservior will do the same thing. only inside.