1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Forum

Discussion in 'Western SnowPlows' started by administrator, May 17, 2001.

1. administrator

administrator Guest

new forum

I have setup this forum because I have been getting lots of direct emails to me asking questions about Westerns products, etc.

Act and communicate in a professional manner and you will treated as a professional.

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Is this forum run by Western? Just curious.

3. administrator

administrator Guest

Soon, I have to complete some of the template work.

4. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Thinking of purchase

I am looking at getting an 86 F250 V-8 w/older Western plow. The mount is the one where the pump sits behind the bumper which is extended out. It has a 7'6" blade, with the control lever mounted inside on the dash. Two questions what should I look for as regards to problems w/plow (I plan to visit my dealer for an inspection on the plow). Second it has the lever with locking ring, could I convert to a handheld model attached via cord or is that not possible. A quick response is helpful.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

You cant covert the controller,its cable operated.That plow is great unit,other than the occasional snapped cable,they are great units.On the blade i would check the pivot area,when they have tons of hours it gets sloppy side to side,make sure that area is in good condition,and not in need of repair.also make sure the frame on the truck,as well as A frame is in good condition,no cracked welds,or twisted frame work,if there is figure it in the price to get it fixed.Check all the cylinders for leaks,and pits/rust on the pistons.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2002
  6. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Lost me, the corded one is cable operated as in cable to the pump or cable to the electrics? Is this difficult to swap in a corded for the big handled dash mounted?

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

It is cable operated,as in no electric in the cab,just 2 cables,with metal rods inside,that operate the levers on the pump housing,the valves are all inside the housing.You could not adapt this to an electric soleniod unit.You would be better off selling yours,and buying a western powerpack with soleniods,I feel the cable setup is the better of the towo,although they are both excellent.We have a few of these westerns in our family,they have been indestructable,the only reapairs in 10-15 yrs of hard plowing has been cables,and one electric motor,thats it.I wouldnt let the cable setyup stop me from buying it,the biggest problem with cables,is when the controller is mounted in the center of the cab,the cables have to be pulled tight,this makes for a sharp bend at the pump housing where it exits,thats where the cable breaks every time.luckiy if the up down cable breaks,you can still raise the plow,you just cant lower it.It the cables have gentle bends in them,not tight ones,they will last for 5-10 yrs,tight bends,oneset a season,I used toi have to change them a lot.

8. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Thanks I have decided not to get this vehicle after all. I want to find a good 3/4ton and install a new Western plow. I visited my dealer and he was showing me the new mounting system. Think I am better off with that. In addition to the two winter warranty.