1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western/Fishers new Plows

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Frozen001, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

2. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Western: Are those wings fixed or can they be angled? I wonder how much they are going for. Someone said in another thread that they will work with the ultra mount

3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah one of the PS guys here was crying because MCWlandscaping posted some pics on here a couple weeks back. Looks like Douglas Dynamics has been busy incorporating the best of plows into their lines. Looks like some great work there, though you won't catch me using the first model year of something! Unfortunately some have to have the first of a new thing, but they're always the one to cry the loudest when something breaks.

~Kevin

4. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Are they really all that new though? They look like just rebadged 810's with a few minor improvements.

5. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I found these on the net Pics

BS you know where you found them.

6. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Frozen..

you can clearly see where you found the pictures..

7. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

here we go again. does it really matter where he found the pics?

8. SnoForce

SnoForce Junior Member

Why yes it does matter.:nono: John

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes and it's hilarious.

You need to know the history of Plow Site. It's kind of like advertising Chevrolet on the Ford site.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Thank God they came out with a chain lift and red paint. Or yellow.

Now I can change my whole fleet over. :dizzy: :dizzy:

Bad Luck, just curious, care to point out the improvements? I'd love to hear where\what they are?

PS Could've sworn I've heard of Smith Brothers Services before, trying to think of where. Ahhh, now I remember, Chuck Smith, used to be moderator\administrator here. Great guy from what I hear. I'm also told he really knows his plows and fabricating, so any of you Jersey guys should head over to him for plow repairs or parts.

11. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Since we have no Blizzaed dealer here within a 5 hour drive :mad: or more and we have a Western and Fisher dealer I welcome this new plow as I can finally see what many have been raving about.

Off hand anyone know of any mechanical differences (other than the chain lift) between the standard Blizzard and the new plower plow?

12. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

A nice shiny new paint job. Snow quivers at the sight of Fisher yellow, you know? And mechanical differences, well you have the advantage of Fisher's superior mounting system & hydraulics. For the plow itself, should be pretty much a Blizzard plow with Fisher's great blade, heavy trip springs and cutting edge.

13. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

I'm trying to stay away from starting a brand war by asking that question lol.

You know after finally looking at a Western Ultramount in person I like it more than the Fisher mounting system.

14. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Im actually quite pleased with the new paint colors especially on the western version.. All the blizzard plows i see around here look like rusty pieces of junk with half the decals ripped off. I also like the chain lift, all we use is fisher plows and the chain lift has never been an issue. We bought a brand new 8 foot boss plow last winter while it worked fine for us i preferred the chain lift. Other then that i dont see a huge difference and i think all three will be good plows.

15. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Except for the fact that they made the slide boxes smaller, put rubber/urethane on the wings also the wings don't have a trip mechanism on the Fisher, the goofy hose routing. Also the they lightened the blade by removing the pump from the a frame but thusly put it on the bumper no lighter than the Blizzards but with questionable scraping ability on the wings something the Blizzard does great.

What's the big freaking deal with the chain lift, what does it matter they both lift the plow. Ones not more prone to problems than the other.

16. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

I'd like to see a fair side by side test in a trade magazine and see if these new power plows hold up as well as a blizzard would.

17. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

They are first year production plows just like the blizzards I'm sure there will be changes made which is why i would never buy something that just came out. The only people that know how well they scrape are the people who are currently testing them out and from what i hear a few of them may be members of the forums.

The weight of the fisher and western versions were posted somewhere and there really wasn't that much difference. I personally like the trip-edge design of fisher plows better than full trip blades (they just work better for my conditions) but i think in this case with the wings the new western version will probably work better. I would worry that with the fisher version if you happen catch something with the wing its just gonna bend the crap out of it.

18. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

No it just proves the point that if you have to to other sites to get the good stuff like LTS!

Or great quality service from http://www.smithbrothersservices.com/
    or http://www.jerres.com/ if your a bit west of there

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  19. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

oh ok it took me a while to figure it out about the "other" site.

20. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Here is to the repeat of what happened to MCW's thread with the western/fisher powerplow pics View attachment 23996

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009