1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western/Fisher wiring - Ports and Plugs oh my!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ih8snow, Oct 23, 2009.

1. ih8snow

ih8snow Junior Member
    from MN

I'm planning on buying a used Western or Fisher snow plow and the electrical stuff on the truck-side is well... a bit confusing. I would really appreciate some technical advice as you guys are very knowledgeable.

1. Could someone please explain what the difference is between a 3 Port and 4 Port isolation module is? I understand the 3 Port is a newer design, but is there any advantage? The 4 Port module and wiring seems to be easier to find used and would prefer to go that route.
    2. When using an isolation module rather than relay setup, I see the truck-side wiring can either be 3 plug or 2 plug (e.g. the plugs that connect over to the plow-side). Is the 2 plug only used for the MVP V-Blades? Which should I plan on using if I'm looking at a straight blade Western or Fisher plow that's 3-8 years old.

Thanks!

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The 3 port and 4 port iso is basically used only for the lighting of the truck and plow. 3 port uses multiplexing for the control harness, 4 port uses seperate wires for each function so the differance really only comes in the plow control wiring.

Truck side can be either 3 or 4 plug for the relay system depending on the year and make of the truck wether its a straight or V plow.

lets us know what truck your planning on setting up and one of us can throw the part numbers out for you.

3. ih8snow

ih8snow Junior Member
    from MN

Crash,

Thanks for the info. I have a 2001 Silverado 2500HD and plan on getting a 7.5' or 8' straight blade Western or Fisher plow. I've been trying to get a used plow from a 1999-2002 Silverado 2500HD locally, but it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I figure my best bet is to get the wiring in place. I could then shop around for a Unimount/Ultramount Western plow or Minutemount Fisher plow regardless of what truck its from.

Here's what I think I need for a complete 4-Port 3-Plug Isolation Module setup:
    • 8437-1 Kit that I think includes:
      • 27781 4-Port Isolation Module, Light Green Label
      • 26357 Vehicle Lighting Harness, 11-Pin
      • 26361-1 Short Light Harness
      • 26360-1 Long Light Harness
    • 26345 Vehicle Control Harness, 3-Pin (SB)
    • 63411 Vehicle Battery Cable (All other systems)
    • 22511 22" Battery Cable
    • 56131K-1Motor Relay

4. Crash935

Might be better to find the plow first and then wire the truck to match. Any 9 pin relay harness, 3 plug (4 port iso) or 2 plug (3 port iso) will work on your truck. It doestn really matter what the plow was on originally, you just might have to re configure the settings on the plow to match the height of your mount.

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Crash, You can use a 4 PORT for Multiplex as well.

6. Crash935

Yup, just trying not to get him to confused yet, slowly working up to confusion then mass confusion.

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

lmao...Your too kind.