1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western / Fisher Pro-Flow 2

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Jul 12, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey,

Do any of you guys have a western/fisher Pro Flow 2 spreader? If so how do they work?

I am thinking of useing one of these models on our shoveling crews truck, to help cover walks.

If any of you guys can provide some feedback on the unit I would like to hear it.

Oh yea, the cost is a good thing to know too.

Geoff

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Geoff, I can't tell you how well they work. I got quoted $3794 for a Speedcaster 2. That's with the frame mount and 7" extended chute. I thought that was pretty interesting considering I got quoted $3495 for a 1.8 painted steel Fisher V-box at a different vendor.

I would think that the Pro Flo 2 is similar in price.

I just saw an ad in Uncle Henry's for Speedcaster 2 - "used one season and paid $2500". I don't know how it would have gone up $1000 in one year. He wants $1500.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2001
  3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Geoff,
    Do a search. We've had a few threads about that unit. I've seen posts generally pricing them between $2,300.00 - $2,700.00 installed. I got mine 3 or 4 years ago for $2,100.00 installed. I love it. Although I would consider it over kill for walks, unless they are huge. I would consider a single stage spreader for doing walks because their spread patterns are generally smaller. The Pro Flo 2's spread very efficiently, can take a beating, are easy to maintain, and handle all types of material well (wet salt \ sand\ mix etc.).

4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Geoff,

I have a Western Pro Flo 2. Yes, it's awesome. I can't think of one complaint about it.

[​IMG]

I have the truss-mount set-up. You have to remove the tailgate, slide the truss in, bolt it down (with T-handles), and the hang the spreader on the truss, pin it, and hook up the connector. It takes about two-minutes to install. I don't have the variable rate controller, just the on/off/blast unit. This has worked just fine for me. If I need to, I can adjust the spread "wings" around the spinner to control where the salt goes, and also the feed-gate at the end of the conveyor. It really is a nice unit, and it will spread just about anything. Like I said last winter, I had to spread water softener pellets. It cost me about $1800 installed. For the trailer hitch set-up, it was around $2300 but you need a long-bed truck (or so I was told.)

Get one. You won't be sorry.

-Tim

5. GeoffD

I am thinking of useing the trailer hitch model on my F 550 crew cab shoveler's truck.

I can put the spreader in the truck, and when they need to salt large walkways, which we have several of, they can install the spreader on the back of the truck.

I have found the trailer hitch model for around 1900, in both central parts and J-thomas. However the 1900 is before the shipping.

I wonder how much it will cost to ship to maine?

Got to talk to the fisher dealer on monday.

Geoff

6. SlimJim Z71

Geoff,

By "put the spreader in the truck", I hope you mean in the bed or dump. The thing weighs about 250-lbs., and will hold about 700-lbs. of salt.

-Tim

PS: Oh, by the way, if you go with the trailer hitch mount, you have to buy a Western Class IV hitch and also the extra brackets. It's probably going to cost you an arm and a leg... and maybe a kidney... to ship it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2001
  7. GeoffD

I have a Power Lift Gate on the the truck. I want to be able to carry salt or sand, the spreader, and snowblowers.

I have a trailer hitch on the truck now, I should be able to install the spreader but may require some slight modifications.

Geoff

8. SlimJim Z71

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

While the western/fisher is a nice unit,I had a sub with one this past season, I still prefer the airflow unit, not as pricey, and alot simpler. Think of a v box spreader, but only 2' long.

Dino

10. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

11. SlimJim Z71

That looks like a decent unit, but I don't like how far it sticks off the back of the truck. If it were mounted in the bed, that would be a great set-up.

-Tim

12. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I gotta agree with Slimjim on that . I have seen that unit in my area, and it looks well made, but something that sticks that far off the bed is asking for trouble in tight areas or bumper to bumper traffic.

13. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I wonder if it would take much modification to mount it sideways?
    It says it can be bed mounted, but I assume that is for dump, rack bodies, and flatbeds...

~Chuck

14. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Geoff, you might want to check into Coastal Metal Fab/Downeaster in Topsham like BRL said. I was just there last Saturday checking into a V-box. Didn't see any of the tailgate models, but wasn't looking for any either. What I liked the best was being able to walk around and look at the merchandise. Nice parts/accessories store, too. What made me sit up and pay attn was the 10' pusher on display (will my 3500 handle it? ;) )

15. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

GeoffD,

I was looking thru the Angelo's Supplies Inc. catalog for winter 2000 - 2001 They seem to have some pretty good prices on spreaders. The prices are good thru December 1, 2001.

http://www.angelos-supplies.com

16. GeoffD

Problem sovled, Bought a used model for 1000 bucks, 1 year old. Even came off a Ford.

Geoff