1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Fast Drop??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ilhmt, Nov 8, 2003.

1. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

I just got my 2 year old used Western plow I just purchased on my truck. It has the hand held controller. I noticed that it has VERY quick response to my controls. It doesn't bother me except for one thing. The blade DROPS LIKE A ROCK when you put it in the down position. I mean it slams hard to the ground!! Is this normal? I do not have the downward pressure on it. My old 20 year old unit used to ease down to the ground.

2. GLS

GLS Senior Member

There is an adjustment for that on the pump. If you go to Western's site, you can download an operators manual for your plow. It will show you how to do it.

3. GLS

GLS Senior Member

4. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

plow drop

I am going to assume you have a uni-mount with the red hydraulic unit right?
    If so, the block were your hoses attach, there is only ONE screw on the top of that block that a flat screw driver blade will fit, turn it in a 1/4 turn at a time until your drop slows down. (dont over do it,it will affect your raise speed as well) Good luck, PT.

5. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Drop Adjustment

Located on the top of your power units valve block on the right side as you are in front of the plow.
    There is a small slotted screw on the upper left corner, this is the quill adjustment which controls the drop rate of your plow.
    Turn the screw in "only" a very little and lower the plow, do so til the plow drops at a slower speed.
    Don't turn it too much as this will effect raising the plow also.

:rolleyes: John...........

6. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

Holy Cow!! (My rendition of Harry Carey) I only posted my question a few hours ago on a Saturday night and I have already been answered with a wealth of knowledge!! Thank You!!

BTW: Yes, it is a Unimount with the red pump. Thanks Again

7. Garagekeeper

Glad to see that you got that plow on your truck.
    :rolleyes: John..........

8. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

Thanks John. I'm sure I drove several people crazy with my endless questions. I do appreciate your patience and attempts to help me out. It was also nice chatting with you on the phone.

Don

9. Garagekeeper

Any time Don.
    That's what I'm around for, and you have my number.
    :rolleyes: John..............

10. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

I had the same issue last year. I thought I was gonna be busting concrete on the drop! :D But yeah, the guys here got me pointed the right direction to get the adjustment right.