1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Electrical Problems - Need Help ASAP

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Trueblue108, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Trueblue108

Trueblue108 Junior Member

First, the background....I have a 2011 Western WideOut on a 2011 Chevy 3500. Lately the pump motor has sounded sluggish, which I thought was possibly due to it running on low fluid for a period of time due to a leak. The leak has since been fixed (four weeks ago) and was found to have originated from a small plug that was loose on the resivoir. This is the third season for this set up and I have not yet replaced the solenoid.

This morning the plow controller was shutting off and the red power button was blinking. When this would happen there was no power to the plow. As it occurs intermittently, I checked the battery connections thinking that one of the terminal connections may be loose. When I used my thumb to push down on the positive terminal, I burned the piss out of it! I now have a white blistery imprint of a 10mm nut on the end of my thumb. I should post a picture, as it's quite funny. The 'hot' leads for the truck and auxiliary lights are cool to the touch but the wire for the plow is extreemly hot. The fuse, however, is not blown. (not sure what size fuse is there but it was factory Western).

I'm assuming the heat is generated by a high amp draw but not sure if I can narrow down the problem to the solenoid or possibly a bad pump motor. I'm confused as to why the fuse hasn't blown yet, either. Any help would be appreciated!

Brian

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Im going with motor. If it was a solenoid it would either work or not work, would have nothing to do with motor running sluggish.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What terminal burned? The battery or something on.the plow side??

4. Trueblue108

Trueblue108 Junior Member

Postive battery terminal. The heat seems to be generated by the plow's power wire. It's not melted or showing signs of scorching, but it was darn hot for sure. I'm wondering if the motor is running slow due to insufficient amperage. I guess the cheap option is to replace the solenoid first, as it's due anyway.

Any other thoughts?

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So it was getting hot after use correct??
    A voltage drop test sounds in order. And an amp draw test following. Both pos and neg cables.
    Not thinking solenoid is the smoking gun,,,,,but not unheard of
    I'm thinking motor just my .02

6. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Make sure you change the air in the tires too. Makes as much sense as replacing a solenoid that is working properly.