1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Discussion 10/29 - 11/2

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Michael J. Donovan, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Hello again Everyone!

Also again this year, another one of our sponsors, Western Products, will be hosting a discussion here in the snow removal forum. The discussion will begin on Monday 10/29 and run until Friday 11/2. Be sure to read the discussion and feel free to participate. The discussions by Western in the past have created some great information and ideas and you can expect the same again this year.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  2. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

Western Discussion

Thanks Michael, and all plowsite members for the welcome!

Western is looking forward to a productive and worthwhile discussion regarding Western products, as well as other snow and ice removal issues. Western places much value on all interaction it has with industry professionals, and the insights users of our equipment provide.

Looking forward to the week...!

3. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Thank you for making the effort to be a part of this forum. I am a strong beleiver in Western products, and find them to be very reliable.

This year I was looking at the new wide-out plow. I really like the concept of this plow, and I think that it will be capable of moving more snow than the simple V-Blade. I do have a couple of concerns, though, and I hope that you might be able to comment on them.

1. The plastic cutting edge on the wide-out portion worries me. It seems to be pretty durable, but if I am plowing at a full angle, and leading with the wide-out portion -- that would seem to expose that plastic cutting edge to the full force of anything that may be hidden under the snow. Possibly resulting breakage of the cutting edge, where the metal edge would normally bend.

2. The openings on the moldboard where the wideout apparatus extends seem very large. I could put my finger inside the slot. I was worried about things getting stuck or jammed in that area. Such as sticks, small stones, etc.

3. The lack of shoes. I only use shoes a couple of times a year, but this plow doesn't have an option for any shoe usage at all.

Now, I also understand that you can't make a plow that is perfect for every application. This plow seems like it is PERFECT for a smooth blacktop lot or driveway where obstructions are rare. In that situation, this plow looks like it will be FANTASTIC. But, for contractors who plow a variety of surfaces, I don't think its the right tool.

I personally plow with an 8' Ultramount Pro, and two different 8.5' MVP Poly Pro plows, and love them all (although, the poly pro is too light -- and leaves a washboard if I plow too fast).

Thanks for your input, and thanks again for being here.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  4. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

Glen -
    Thank you for the post, and your support of Western Products. Regarding your questions...

1) One of the principal drivers to go with a urethane edge on the wings, as opposed to the steel cutting edge, was just that: it would tend to be more forgiving if an obstruction is encountered. If you are plowing at full angle, say fully extended (10'), and you encounter an obstruction, if that obstruction is shorter than approx 7", the urethane edge should "fold back", gliding over the obstruction. Whereas with a steel cutting edge on the wing, it is susceptible to bending, and having to be replaced. Also, with the urethane edge, the blade should trip 'less harshly" when in scoop or bucket blade position.

2) Regarding the size of the openings on the interior side of the slidebox for the wings, they are intentionally like that... to help push out any type of material (packet snow, ice, sticks, small stones, etc) that could possibly get trapped in the slidebox. This was one of the areas we looked to improve upon and minimize concern during the design phase, based on feedback from existing Power Plow users.

3) There actually is a shoe assembly kit option for the WIDE-OUT. PN 44277. I am certain Bessemer Auto could get you squared away.

Side note, I actually had the opportunity to plow with the WIDE-OUT in Bessemer in Feb 07. We had filmed some of the promotional videos and literature spots up there prior to its release. Plowed great!

Thanks for the post, questions, and comments...

5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

hi i will start by saying i have a 8' pro ultramount and it's been TOUGH, i have it on a 3/4 ton ext cab 6sp ctd that has been twin turbo'd and many mods and the plow has held up for years and i plan on replacing it no time soon,

my Q' is the other day i went to get everything ready for winter and i went to hook up the western and it would'nt do nothin,....the light on the controller lit up but wouldnt actuate the solinoind or the valves, and the float light on the controller wouldn't light up either, i went under the hood and jumped the solinoid and had someone else push the buttons on the controller and it did nothing? it worked perfectly when i unhooked and the truck hasent drove prob. 2-3k miles i am somewhat confident that truckside wires are o.k. but is there a way to test the controller

my next Q' is there a manual trans. friendly controller? maybe steering wheel mount?

and my last Q is will western wings work on a pro-plow? i have a set of the cheaper black ones on it now and they do not hold up to the ice and such.
  6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Dear Western - Can I get warranty work performed at any Western dealer even if I didn't purchase a plow from them?

If so, who can I contact if they refuse?

7. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

Thanks for the post. As for your question...

Any Western Distributor can perform warranty work. To help locate an authorized Western Distributor, there is a complete Distributor Directory on our Web site: www.westernplows.com.

A Distributor is not obligated to perform service work at no charge; it would ultimately be up to Western as to whether the repair is a warranty repair or not.

Hope this helps.
  8. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

Powerjoke -

Thanks for the post, and support of Western. It sounds like your 8' PRO has treated you well. Great to hear! As for your questions...

1) Based on your description, I would be suspect of the controller. Many Western Distributors have a test box for testing the controller separately for either straight blades or V-plows. Another cause might be the fuse that supplies current to the control and out to the plow coils. You may want to try removing the fuse and cleaning the contacts in the fuse holder and the ends of the fuse to get better current flow. There may be enough current to light the LED backlight, but not enough to activate functions.

2) Western currently offers the two control options for straight blades: a joystick control as well as a handheld control. However, nothing specifically designed for a "manual transmission" truck. You might have to get a little creative regarding a "steering wheel mount". The only control mounting options currently offered by Western is a Pro-Grip Mounting Kit (49305K), which is more or less interlocking fasteners with adhesive on each side, and a FLEX ARM kit (62490), which is a flexible control mounting kit.

And 3) The Wing Extension Kits currently offered for the PRO PLUS (64410) and the MVP PLUS (44510-1) currently do not back fit to the PRO-PLOW or any other models. Each wing extension kit is specific to that particular model. Reason being, the blade assemblies contain mounting brackets and wing pin slots in the ribs to accommodate the kit.

Hope this helps. Thanks again for the post!
  9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I am looking to purchase a new V blade this year. I have phoned 3 places in the Buffalo area, 2 of which are listed on your website. I was looking for a 8'6" Poly and they all say they are sold out for this season. Is there a shortage on the Poly blades or are they trying to sell me steel blades that they have in stock? Thanks.
  10. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

cet -

Thanks for your post, and inquiry into a new MVP PLUS.

As for a shortage here, to my knowledge, we are not having a supplier issue or a backorder issue on the poly blade assemblies for the MVP PLUS.

As for the distributor stock in particular, I would not be able to comment on that.

Hope this helps.
  11. Dojo

Dojo Junior Member
    from pa

First of all thank you for your time. We are currently purchasing a new western plow. Our question is too which plow to purchase--- v plow or the new wideout. The truck is a new GMC 4500 series. In the past straight ahead pushes have consumed too much time with our trucks, so we originally thought the v plow would be a great addition to solve this problem. Now though the new wideout has caught our attention. Any thoughts pro or cons would be greatly appreciated. How much field testing has the wideout been through?? Just concerned about buying a first year product and being the guinea pig. Thank you and feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  12. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

Dojo -

Thanks for the post, and your interest in Western! As for your inquiry...

The good news: Your new truck will have no problem handling either of the plows you are considering. The bad news: It's a tough decision. You are definitely correct that if you are looking to increase efficiency, the MVP PLUS or the WIDE-OUT is the way to go. A question that might need answering is 'what type of lots/accounts do you typically service'? If there are issues of space, the need to maneuver around cars (apartment parking lots, etc.), or a lot of drifting... the MVP PLUS might be the way to go. If you are dealing with a bit more 'wide open space', where you have the ability to open up the blade, and take some serious passes (larger parking lots, more windrowing, etc.), the WIDE-OUT might be the way to go.

As for field testing on the WIDE-OUT: it went through an entire winter of field test with the true "guinea pigs", as well as subjected to the FEA (finite element analysis) and lab testing (push through's, fatigue's, etc.) done here on site. All in all it tested very well, receiving some very favorable comments and impressions from our field testers.

Hope this helps in your decision-making process. At least you are on the right track, considering a Western. From this point forward, I don't think you can go wrong either way to be honest.

Thanks for the post!
  13. MillerJoel

MillerJoel Member

I was woundering if you could tell me the right ballast weight for me to use in my truck. It is a 2000 f150 with a 7'2"lsx unimount. The dealer in my town does not know
  14. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

Regarding your inquiry...

Based on the limited information, it could range anywhere from 150 lbs. to 800 lbs., dependant on the cab size, box size, engine size, the vehicle's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, as well as its Front Gross Axle Weight Rating.

That being said... you could always get a Low Profile 1000 tailgate spreader, and by the time you fill it with material, you should be good to go.

If you can provide the missing specs, I'd be happy to find the correct ballast weight for you. Thanks for the post.
  15. MillerJoel

MillerJoel Member

It is a 5.4L short box extend cab front gross is 3600 and the total is 6500
  16. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

That being said... you are looking at 350 lbs. of ballast.

(Or instead of the Low Profile 1000, a Low Profile 500 tailgate spreader... and an extra 50 lbs. in the back! That will also get you to 350 lbs.)

Hope this helps.
  17. MillerJoel

MillerJoel Member

Will that plow work on this truck is is my truck to lite
  18. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

The LSX is a valid application for that vehicle.
  19. sonicblue2003

sonicblue2003 Senior Member

I have a question regarding the plugs used on your plows.
    I have a 8.5 MVP that I bought brand new in 2003.I love the plow and the way it functions but I have nothing but misery with the plug ends,both truck side and plow side.
    Firstly the trigger wire in the power supply plug broke just inside of the encased plastic around the plug.(after 2 days) So I went to the dealer and the gave me a new one under warranty and all was good. Following year same thing. Out of warranty now so I bypass the plug and use a male/female spade connector to keep me going. It's a little bit of a pain but it works so I keep on going. I just want to know if this is a common issue or did I just get 2 bad ones.
    Secondly. (after 2 years) The pins for the control plug keep coming out of the plow side harness and I have to push them back in and fiddle with it to make it work. Once I establish a good connection I don't have any problems until I R&R the plow again. As you can imagine this can be very annoying at 3am when it's snowing.
    Is this another common issue?
    I know that I can buy a new harness, but in Canada they are quite expensive and if the same thing is going to happen again I will modify and deal with it.
    Like I said before though, I love the plow but the wire gremlins are getting to me.
    Thanks for your time.
  20. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Glad to see a vendor openly approach their user community!

Ok, couple of thoughts.....

1) I just picked up the MVP Plus and have it mounted on my 2500HD New Body Style. I would like to see the industry ( Western and Chevy ) calculate and test their products together more so, items like cooling of the Trans is a know item. ( Yes, I've worked with you guys and Chevy on this and honestly, I was impressed both took ownership but, I shouldn't have been the one to find this problem ).

1a) How about identifying trucks that need additional cooling assistance in the form a a larger trans cooler and fan combination.
    1b) How about designing an optional wind baffle that easily mounts on the plow and helps re-direct air into the radiator.

2) On the Command controller I would much prefer the ability to have more control when adjusting the wings. Right now it's a sensitive touch button which sends the wings either out or back in a flip-flop approach. Mostly I would have a need to just nudge the wings a little more in the same direction. How about an updated and retro fit controller which has a directional toggle for the wing angles - that would be cool.