1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Discussion 10/23-10/27

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Michael J. Donovan, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Hello again Everyone!

Also again this year, another one of our sponsors, Western Products, will be hosting a discussion here in the snow removal forum. The discussion will begin on Monday 10/23 and run until Friday 10/27. Be sure to read the discussion and feel free to participate. The discussions by Wetsern in the past have created some great information and ideas and you can expect the same again this year.

2. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

Western Snowplows Discussion: 10/23 - 10/27

Welcome to the Western Products Discussion!

Once again, Western has opened this thread to discuss any technical issues, as well as answer any product-related questions regarding our snow and ice control equipment.

In addition, we encourage any feedback you might have regarding new product requests/ideas and future improvements.

Myself (product manager) along with representatives from the technical service and engineering departments are on hand to answer your questions. We will try to answer all posts in a timely manner. We thank you in advance for your participation and look forward to your comments.

3. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

Electrical

I assume this is the correct place to participate in this discussion. Thanks to Plowsite for providing, and Western for participating!

MVP Plus ordered - a few questions...

2002 F350SD 7.3 PSD, single 130A alt, 2 - 875 CCA batts. Only other DC aux equip will be strobe light. Is this adequate to operate your system?

I assume the suggested connection of motor relay to primary batt is to minimize current flow across longer cables from primary batt to secondary batt while pump motor is in operation. Have there been any reports of high intermittent draw from the primary batt disrupting Ford's PCM or GEM?

Is there a real reason turn & markers could not be included in the isolation module instead of requiring tap into OEM wiring?

Thanks!

4. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

V back drag

Hi There Western...I have 8' 6" MPV Western...And have been wondering If You make a back drag edged for It?.
    All In All very happy with my new Western plow.
    Thanks
    Daner

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Small suggestion: The adjustment quill to set the drop speed... make the head something a other then the slotted bolt with out a head(or how ever you would describe it)... mine is rusted in place and I can get it to budge... I am afraid I am going to have to mangle it with a pair of vise grips since I have a feeling if I keep trying to get it free now the tip is going to snap off... How about something with a hex head on it at least... or an allen head... anything would better than what is on my plow...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  6. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

Back drag edge for MVP®

Daner,

Thank you for the post. In response to your question on the availability of a back drag edge for the MVP, we currently do not offer a back drag option for this blade. I will pass the suggestion along to the appropriate person. On a side note, all of our V-plows come standard with Double Acting Cylinders, which give you the ability to hydraulically "lock" the blade wings as one, allowing for clean and efficient backdragging. So even though we do not offer an accessory edge for your plow, back dragging can still be accomplished with the Double Acting Cylinders, and pulling snow away from the garage, etc.

Click on the following link for a complete listing of all Western Factory Original Parts & Accessories: http://www.westernplows.com/partsaccess.asp.

Western

7. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

To Rampart Ranger...

Rampart Ranger,

In response to some of your questions...

1) The charging system that you have spec'd out should be fine for the intended use.

2) Regarding the issue of high draw impacting the vehicle's electrical system, we have not had any reports of high intermittent draw disrupting the PCM or GEM.

3) Actually, the turn and markers are included in the Isolation Module. They pull their power from the battery. We have to tap into the OEM wiring just to pick up the signal to activate the turns and marker lights.

Thanks for the post,

Western

8. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

Electrical

Thanks Western!

I was hoping I would not need to upgrade Alt & Batts @ over $1k!

I plan on getting 20+ years of use from my new Western - just like I got from my last! (assuming we still use roads instead of the personal aircraft we were promised for the "New Millennium"):rolleyes:

Western - Great product in my book!

9. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Just curious, I am getting several different stories, hopefully you can clear this issue up...

My dealer says the 8'6" MVP Plus Poly is not available yet, however there are those on this board who reportedly have them. I have one on "order " with the dealer, however I want to make sure they are not just waiting for a bigger order to fulfill etc.

Thank you

Bill

10. Brannick's Snow

Brannick's Snow Member
    from ohio

Any chance you will build a 10' MVP?

11. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

To eng50 - 8' 6" MVP PLUS™ Poly

Bill,

The new 8' 6" MVP PLUS Poly V-plow is available this year (as are the other five MVP PLUS models - http://www.westernplows.com/mvpplus.asp). If you have one on order, it is possible that your distributor is still waiting to receive it from Western.

With the introduction this year of the MVP PLUS, and the new poly option, we have experienced relatively high demand for these plows, and are working on getting them out to the field as fast as we can. We apologize for the wait, and can ensure you, that you will not be disappointed when you receive it.

Thanks for the post.

12. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

10' V-plow...

Brannick's Snow,

Unfortunately, we do not have any plans to offer a 10' V-plow this season. However, we are always looking and investigating potential new product introductions and line expansions, and this would certainly fall into that category. I will pass the suggestion along to the appropriate people.

Thanks for the post.

13. plowin101

plowin101 Junior Member
    from ohio

I have just purchased and installed two new 9'6" MVP Poly plows and i was wondering why the motor solenoid was placed on the pump unit instead of under the hood like the majority of manufacturers have it? I do have two complaints so far. One of my pump units was shipped from the factory with blown fuses and i'm wondering how that would happen? The other is that both units had wiring directions for an older harness, can u explain why that would happen?

Ryan

14. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

The dealer, after more questions, states they are waiting for Poly "skins" from you as they are planning on swapping the steel ones on an MVP Plus that they have in stock. Is this recommended by you as the manufacturer? Warranty still applies, etc? They said they did not order any poly MVP pluses, and won't be able to get the complete unit...

Thank you,
    Bill

15. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

Frozen001 - Quill Assembly

Frozen001,

Thanks for the suggestion. As for trying to free the corroded quill, I would recommend soaking it with a high-quality penetrating fluid to help cut through the rust before removing. You may want to even soak it with some WD-40, let it sit a bit while it works on the threads, and then it the head quare with a hammer to give it a shock, loosening it up, and then backing it out.

Hope this helps, and thanks for the post.

16. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

To eng50

Bill,

His statement makes perfect sense in that with the MVP PLUS models, the blade sheets, or "skins" as he referred to them as, are interchangeable and can be swapped very easily from Poly to Mild Steel (and vice versa). Each sheet is captured by four fasteners at the top of the blade, and a channel/lip at the base of the blade frame that the sheet sits in. The practice of swapping out sheets from poly to mild steel (and vice versa) is perfectly fine and warranty will be upheld... given that the parts and accessories used in all cases are Western Factory Original Parts & Accessories.

Thanks for the post...

17. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Hello Western...Is there a U edge for the 8.5 mpv?...If there Is...will this help on dirt/gravel country style driveways?...I,m kinda thinking That It would glide over the small stones easier than the reg. steel edge
    Thanks
    Daner

18. kasper

kasper Junior Member

8foot pro plus question

i have a 2 year old pro plus that the dealer has tried to fix for a year and a half and they still cannot fix. the problem is when the plow works for awhile in the up and down mode when you go to raise it it will sound like it is binding up and move slower. the side to side is not effected at all just up and down. after taking it back quite a few times with them doing some adjustments and charging for fluid changes i put a new pump onit at my own expense this did not work also a new motor and this did not help. one more question on the new mvp the cutting edge is rounded on the inner can these go on the older style to replace the rubber center flap thanks in advance steve

19. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

Urethane Edges

Daner,

Unfortunately, we do not currently offer a urethane cutting edge accessory. I take it something you would be interested in? I will safely assume 'yes' and pass it along. In the interim, an alternate solution to this issue would be to use shoes on your blades. This will work just as well and help you plow some of the areas you mentioned above (gravel driveways, etc.). The shoes will prevent the edge from digging into the stone, keeping the blade slightly above the gravel.

Thanks for the post...

20. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

To plowing101

Ryan,

In response to your questions/issues:

The motor solenoid is located inside the protected, covered hydraulic unit because the MVP PLUS utilizes a multiplexed electrical system, which is also why the MVP PLUS™ units contain only two plugs at the grille as opposed to other Western units containing three. In a nutshell, the control sends a signal through the power plug at the grille, that tells the module mounted on the hydraulic unit what function to perform, where one of those functions is to operate the motor relay. Therefore, you do not have to transmit as much power through multiple plugs at the grille.

As for your other issues/comments, hopefully what you experienced were isolated incidents, and if you like, please send me a private message so I can learn a little more about what had happened.

Thanks for the post...