1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Dealers

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jimmycrackcorn, Dec 5, 2015.

1. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

Is there really only two Western Dealers in NH?

I'm trying to pick up a MVP3 instead of a XV2 just because of the simplicity the Ultramount2 brings to the table. I was never a fan of the MM1, was always a headache. The MM2 doesn't seem all that different, still have to mess with the head gear, push/pull compress pistons, line pins up in 0% tolerance holes, etc..

I also like the fact you can remove the receivers in the summer, that's pretty cool.

I have have quotes from a few places but one place says they need to order the mounts, told me 5 - 8 days, & then & only then would they see what their install schedule looks like. I'm also trying to finance as to try not to deplete my winter funds, guy didn't seem like he wanted to deal with that. Told me I apply online & they send me a check, which I know isn't correct. His hole attitude just seemed like he had better things to do & I should be thankful he'd allow me to spend my $$ there. $62something installed.

The other place is real low volume, trying to sell me left over's at full freight & still hadn't gotten back to me on SS prices. This is after stopping by once, 3 vmails & one conversation where he had to get back to me on the SS. That & I'm not quite sure on their mechanical aptitude regarding Western. Just seems like it's there for show. (Used truck lot) At least $6500 based of their other numbers

All other options are out of NH & got 5+% of sales tax on a 6k purchase, not to mention their pricing is 2-3 hundred more before tax.
    Vt-$6450 with tax
    Ma-$haven't checked
    ME-$6500 with tax

Not sure what to do here.. Logical thing would just be to gets XV2, but the Ultramount2 seems that much easier.

Gimmie some solutions..
    Anyone know of a non-western dealer who knows westerns & will do a 2-3 hundred $$ install?

Really don't want to end up doing it myself.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Can't help with dealers but can comment on installation.... Having installed Westerns for 10 plus years I can tell you that if you find someone who is willing to do an install for $300 you probably don't want him doing it. At my shop we plan for about six hours to unpack, assemble plow, wire truck, install mounts, test sand adjust. We have a crane and a forklift too. On my courses I have met people who say "if we take longer than four hours we would be fired!" But I think they are full of it.... If you try to do it yourself it will take you 12 hours and you won't get a good job done. There are lots of tricks and routines that an experienced installer would implement that a newby would not know. I really suggest you pay someone a bit more and get it done right.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I strongly agree with that as a general statement. Some trucks took longer, so less.

Just curious what type of truck do you run?

4. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

I'm pretty sure I can get it done right..lol. I'm pretty anal retentive about wiring & installation type stuff. I really just don't feel like working outside after work in the below freezing temps, it's just not for me. If I have to yes, I do, but not if I don't have to. You could say I'm a fair weather mechanic.

I mention that price point of 2-4 or whatever I wrote because that's what I've been getting for install rates across the board for different makes. I'm not willing to pay more for it then that, especially after seeing a constant fluctuation of $800 to 900 dollar difference between dealers of the same volume & the same products within the same demographic. That & the fact that the last 4 times I've paid someone for services like this I've had to go back & fix or complete the job I paid a premium for.

I don't mean & it's not my intention to offend but, these things ain't $50k cars or trucks that take specialized equipment to put together or take $15k super computers to diagnose. A little common sense, a little thinking outside the box & it should go together just fine. If I did do it myself, the only part I'd be dreading is getting the wings together & drilling my frame.

However, you might be right in the 12hr part cuz if I do diy, i usually take my time.

5. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

I got that 5.9 Ram 3500 I was mentioning in that other thread. I'm debating whether or not to throw some upgraded ball joints in it now or come spring. What do you think, wait till they're bad or do em' now to freshen up.?They feel pretty tight right now, but these dodges are notorious for eating them. I've always run f-series plowing so I'm not quite sure how this Dodge will treat me.

6. mishnick

(Old-dog) I used to run a wide-out on an F550 but now I just build and fix. Plowing all night and then working on dangerous machinery was not much fun after a couple years....

(Jimmycrackcorn) No offence taken.... Everyone who is an expert installer had to start somewhere. If you have some mechanical aptitude, even if you don't install it yourself, gives you the insight to look at someone else's work and know if they did a good job or not. When your time is free who cares how long it takes! "Common sense" is the key. Knowing to put your fuses where you can get at them without taking the grill and headlights out, not putting the isolation module two inches from the exhaust manifold and not securing your cables to razor sharp metal edges are just a couple of things that an "inept" installer would not consider. Personally I am so OCD (AKA anal) that I would never allow anyone else to install a plow on my truck unless I know them personally and trust that they put priority on doing it right over doing it fast.

7. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

And there you have it.. It's this little things that most places don't put any thought into, I guarantee whether I spend 200 or 500 the wiring is just gunna get stuffed into a hole somewhere, most likely not gunna use weather proofing or heat shrink, holes drilled in frame wont get treated after being created, my bumper won't be lined up correctly after being removed, it goes on & on. I guarantee it, & this will happen weather I spend the full monty or not, so in my mind why spend the extra, just go somewhere unknown to me & bite my tongue.

All in all, I don't know why I don't see more Western Dealers, if Western/Fisher are the same products its almost a no brainer as to which of the two mounts is more user friendly.

I'm really considering just getting a DXT instead as I can get a larger SS model than I'm going for now for less $$ installed. The plan was to go smaller (8.6MVP3) & add wings if needed. That way I'm not getting too big with the 9.6 in drives. However, I think the larger 9.2 DXT might just be the happy medium Im looking for. I can get into it for the same numbers as the 8.6MVP3 ss, so I might need to mndfck this scenario some more. Downside is, with that size I wouldn't be adding the boss wings.So I wouldn't be getting the total containment I'm looking for but every which way I look, I'm making a compromise.

I haven't heard anything bad about the DXT, have you? I know it's a totally different animal with dual trip & spring return but I just need to be ready to push some snow at this point & I can get one installed on the 10th as opposed to waiting for the mounts, then waiting to see what's scheduled, then finally getting a date. Their also more than happy to process the finance end & there's more than two dealers in the state.

This Sux, I really really like the MVP3. Am I stupid to avoid the Fisher just because of the mounts? It kinda seems silly to me.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Have u looked a the Boss Mount.

Best of luck

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

This Sux, I really really like the MVP3. Am I stupid to avoid the Fisher just because of the mounts? It kinda seems silly to me.

Yea it is silly.
    Mounts.....boss, blizzard, snow way, hiniker.....those are mounts

10. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

Yeah I checked em out a bit.. Hydraulic. Looks pretty simple. I understand its a moving part & all but besides that what are you trying to convey? Its a pita?

11. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

Well yeah.. I know their all mounts..
    I just think the western has the easiest.

For example, I have a minute mount 1 on my old powerstroke that sits just a little bit unlevel, in order to get it on it's always at least a 5 minute project. You have to be dead nuts on center & level for it to engage correctly. Taking it off, the Jack Stand pin is forever & again slipping out of place, half the time the plow ends up on the ground or leaning into that uneven position where it leaves it all messed up for the next hookup. I don't see anything different about the MM2 that would keep it from happening again. Seems like the same basic setup with the ability to pull both pins at once.

This might sound crazy & I haven't looked at parts printouts but would it be possible to retrofit an Ultramount2 to an XV2. I know anything is possible with enough welding but, I'm talking an easy bolt on swap.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Hangs down and looks like ****. Bye bye ground clearance lol

Someone on here frankensteiend a new fisher or Meyer with a different mount. Brand new plow last year

And you don't see more western dealers because they won't allow it. They have a main dealer and each area and he has the power to say yes or no to you opening up a shop. You would be considered a "sub" dealer under him. Our guy won't do it. I've tried to open a shop

13. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

Thats right.. It does hang down crazy low.. uggh..

I dont really want to frankenstien one, i dont think, i'll just deal with the mm2 or the smarthitch2 if these guys cant get their stuff together.

Is 5 to 8 days normal for western dealer ordering parts? These days it seems most companies are trying to get on board with expidited shipping options as a standard motto, especially so since the evolution of amazon prime type shipping times & rates. 5 - 8 days seems stonage considering i know i could order & have it much much sooner with a little searching.

14. mishnick

I looked into becoming a dealer when I had my own shop but there is a minimum annual order and we are not talking about $50,000, we are more in the area of $500,000! I was in the process of becoming a sub dealer until the manager of the main branch turned on me and cut me out. Never the less there were two Western dealers, at that time, witch were only blocks apart and direct competitors so there are no geographic limitation or "zones" as I would call them. If I had a million to spend on inventory and the space to store it I could have become a third dealer within the same area. But you can't count on snow business as your soul income in a place where the snow season is only about four months a year.

As for mounts..... there is nothing easier than the Ultra-mount. I have built Blizzards, Bosss and many others. I find that the Ultra-mount is the best, easy to line up with, no need for a ground guide or to get out ten times to get lined up. And not needing power (and a functional system) for the power coupler makes the Ultra removable in the event your truck breaks down and needs to be towed. It also allows you to hook up to a dead plow, high chain it and then limp it into a shop for repair. You can't do that with a Boss or the Blizzard with power coupler. I have fixed too many of those "where they died" because there was no easy way to get them to the warm shop and trust me, troubleshooting a dead plow on the side of the road at -20 degrees C is no fun. But that's just my opinion, others will say the opposite.

15. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

Dang. That's a lot of inventory.
    How are the two around here allowed to operate, I know theres no way the western place closest to me has even 5 in stock, never mind $500,000..

Say, in your experience, which of the brands has a tighter v?
    Hahaha.. Sheesh.. That could be taken the wrong way.
    I'm talking like which is gunna have more of a sharper spearhead angle to effortlessly punch through driveway windrows.

Which will angle the furthest too?

Like I was mentioning b4 I've only got seat time being my mm1 & a few other straight blades. I haven't plowed in quite few years so I missed the boat when the v's got popular.

16. dieselss

17. dieselss

18. dieselss

19. dieselss

20. dieselss