1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western dealer question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jdilliplane1, Dec 19, 2010.

1. jdilliplane1

jdilliplane1 Senior Member

Hi, I bought a unimount model 60381 yesterday for what I thought was a reasonable price at 1000. I got the plow to go up and angle right fine but wouldn't angle left. Then I cleaned the electrical connections with brake cleaner and it worked to the right then to the left and is now stuck to the left.

I am gonna try to clean it out today and maybe clean the filter. We just filled it up with automatic tranny fluid to get it mounted on my truck to get it home. I'm using a push buttom controller that I picked up last week. So do u think the problem is in the wiring or the pump?

And to my last question, I need this to be reliable and if I take it to the dealer, am I gonna get bent over like there's no tomorrow on repairs?

Thanks again and you guys are always a wealth of knowledge and I'm in philly area if we have any gurus that wanna make a couple buckspayup

2. 54powerwagon

54powerwagon Senior Member

clean your connections again. fill with dielectric grease. drain the fluid change filter. fill with tray fluid should work just fine. if not try a different controller. if you still have a problem try playing with the plug with someone running the controller.

3. jdilliplane1

now I'm really screwed. I changed the fluid and the rams were filled with white paste like a blown head gasket and lots of air bubbles when I moved side to side. I tried to clean the filter and when I took off the motor from top a bunch of small discs and a brass washer fell out:( I put them back where it seemed they went on top, but when I tried to move the plow the motor smelled like it was burning and the harness was hot like it was melting and I think I fried the solenoid. On top of that my drain plug was stripped from the previous owner although he kept the pump and rams apart so they didn't get stolen. anyone with diagrams please or some help:confused:

4. cartec01

cartec01 Junior Member

lesson learned, take the motor off by the flange bolt down by the block, not the bolts on top. You probably need to rebuild the motor or get a new one. As for the angle problem, most of the time it can be corrected with a plow service. Take the motor off, drain all the fluid. Remove the hydro lines at the block (remember which one goes where) put the ends on your drain pan and move the plow by hand left and right to clean out the rams. remove the pump from inside the block, make sure there is an o-ring on the bottom, if not try to locate it in the block. replace that oil ring and the filter and re-assemble the whole unit, before putting the motor on fill (to the correct level) the block. reinstall motor with new gasket. Now see if it all works properly. you will need to add a bit more fluid after cycling the plow a few times because you drained the rams.
    If that does not work you will need to pull the plastic cover of the hydro/electric unit and test all the wiring at the solenoids (you should do this with the power red/black motor power plug unplugged so as not to move the plow) ie...don't get hurt by a moving plow. find a good ground on the truck to use for ground. Alot of times the 9-pin plug goes bad...even though it looks ok. I have chaged a lot of them at the shop, maybe 20 a year, even though they looked fine. Also, if the controller is in question you can test that too. Go to the western site and get yourself a copy of the wireing scematics for your plow. Lastley, you can do a continuity test with all the wires through the plug.
    I am not a western dealer anymore but I do service all plows through-out the winter still. Some people feel as if dealers charge to much, but you also should get what you pay for. I get a lot of customers with new controllers, solenoids, motors, ect..when their problem was something else. I think them paying me $100 is better then what a lot of people spend trying to fix it themselves. :)

5. jdilliplane1

plow

yea, I am gonna just take it to the dealer. I need this plow to be reliable. I found one of the discs on the ground also once I chained the plow up, I was running late for work. The plow worked up and down yesterday it was just left and right that was the problem although I suspect a problem in the plug. I also tapped the top lid down with a rubber mallet to get it to seat, I just hope I didn't fry the motor like an idiot. If anyone has an idea, please share as you guys have been great so far.

6. jdilliplane1

well dropped it off and Bensalem travel plaza western dealer. Supposedely motor on top can fall apart when you did what I did when you pull it off:( Dropped it off at 9 and didn't get a call till 2 asking exactly what happened from the mechanic:confused: They said they only had one plow they were trying to figure out before then. Still waiting on the call back to see what they found although they didn't think it would be to bad. Yea, I have heard that one before!!

7. cole22

cole22 Senior Member

What happened?

8. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I would of flush the system.., clean the screen, remove the 3way (angle right), then the 4way (3way and 4way, control the left angle), check them, and if they were functioning properly and to make sure the "O" rings weren't damage, clean them, check the wires attach to the solenoids, check the ground wire (black/orange) for good connection. Check the valve passage to make sure they were clear. Check the plug connector (grill harness)again to make sure it was clean and making good contact.

As for the "hand held controller, some do work on unimounts, and some don't.. I would try another one (if you got a joy stick when you brought the plow, I would try that).

Here is a pic of the valve manifold
    valvemanifoldA.jpg

The white gunk you found was moisture mix in with the fluid......

valvemanifoldA.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  9. jdilliplane1

still waiting for a call about the plow. When I called last night they had already left although the guy I talked to said they had the motor apart, but it was now back together and the solenoid got changed out also. I'll post once I hear more and what they're trying to charge me for it also. Hopefully not too much.

10. jdilliplane1

alright just got a call that the motor is indeed shot with rust, etc. So the motor has to be replaced before they can diagnose any further. 138 dollars for the motor. we'll see what else they come up with once they get that done.

11. jdilliplane1

alright got a call towards the end of the day. Final total 325 which included a new motor, a couple relays, etc. I will have a total list tomorrow as to what was done. Guy said they had it working great now. So, I'm gonna pick up some paint, curb finders, etc and hopefully it snows this weekend.

12. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Glad they resolved the problem. $1325 is still a great price for a complete working plow. Post some pictures of it.

13. cole22

cole22 Senior Member

Get some before and after pictures on here! I hope it snows like crazy every where for everyone!ussmileyflagtymusic

14. jdilliplane1

total price was closer to 350ish due to getting a few extra parts. breakdown was

187.50 for 2.5 hours labor
    112.28 for new electric motor
    new solenoid was supplied by me
    guess some fluid for 6 bucks \
    miscellaneous clips and whatnot for plow to frame 33
    plus tax of course