1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western cutting edges

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 03sd, Jan 17, 2012.

1. 03sd

03sd Member

I am looking at buying a new set of cutting edges for an MVP, I was wondering if any of you guys have bought aftermarket edges or is worth going back to western for them? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

wonders if his is aftermarket or not....

my opinion. aftermarket edges should be of the same grade high carbon steel as westerns. western cannot forge steel any different than any other company. so cost is the only factor. but you can always get the 3rd party and just compare how long it lasts to how long the oem lasted and see ehich comes to be cheaper.

3. 03sd

03sd Member

The cutting edges I have now are oem, I have heard a couple of different things about them one being western went cheap by using a softer steel so they could form the centers as to using a two piece design. I have seen the these around and was wondering if they would be any better thanks for replying.

4. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

im still on my first edge so its hard for me to say much. but the only difference between the 2 will be how long they last. the harder it is the longer it will last.