1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western cutting edges problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by firefighter1406, Dec 22, 2012.

1. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

Alright, here is the deal. 8.5 Western Unimount MVP with center rubber flap. I started with a brand new set of edges last year with new rubber center flap. Wore edges down around an inch last year so I have plenty of edge left but the center rubber flap is worn down to the bolt holes and trashed already. A frame is level and don't understand what is going on. I went to my local dealer and asked and he said to raise up my frame on the truck one set of bolt holes. Plowed once this way and the a frame is slightly higher on the truck end. Now the edges out toward the end of the plow is a 1/4" more worn then the center after an hour of plowing. I am at my wits end. I shouldn't have to replace my edges every year. Does anybody have an insight on this?

2. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

never heard of wearing a cutting edge down in 1 season . poly or steel . must be that soft chinese steel . Are you plowing highways like 100 miles a storm ?

3. firefighter1406

These are western edges. Steel edges wore great. It's the stupid rubber center edge that dies so fast. But over all I don't know what the problem is. Am I the only one that is having this problem.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Are your cutting edges wearing round like bannanas? Sounds to me like your plow is not configured correctly. There are two steps to properly configure a V plow. First you have to do the usual measurement on the reciever to determine which of the four primary configurations you use. Despite the advise of the dealer, there is only one option that is correct and it's not something you play with. Second you have to make sure that the blade is square to the ground when you shift from V to Scoop. There are two bolts (sometimes with wedges) on the rear of the A-frame on each side to adjust this. Loosen these bolts and then move the blades from V to scoop until the cutting edge touches the ground evenly in all positions. Then tighten the bolts. People who don't do this will find that their cutting edges will wear on the outside and inside edges. If you plow mostly in scoop position and your a-frame is too low in the back it will wear out the rubber wing bridge prematurely as you are discribing.

5. firefighter1406

I think you might be talking about a ultra mount with the adjustments. I have a unimount and haven't seen any adjustments like you are describing. The edges wore great and straight before just the center rubber is dieing way faster then everything else.

They are wearing like bananas now with the frame higher. But I am lowering that back down right away.

6. Spool it up

oh , i know which one you have . Boss used to have them until they discontinued that and use formed center steel edges .as did western newer mods.
    My rubber center shoe collecter also used to last a season . It has to do with your angle , correct . or just massive miles of service . them damb things were 70.00 a piece.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  7. firefighter1406

Mine isn't quite that expensive but the idea is the same. The problem is the rubber piece come with steel brackets and if you try to put that on the old edges the brackets and rubber hold the rest of the plow up.

If they made steel wrapped edges for these plow we wouldnt be having this discussion /:(

8. Spool it up

exactly , and i used to have to wear the new ones down to the old steel edge height :cry:

9. Spool it up

technology just keeps changing faster than our cost of living , Iphones , plows n, computers , televisions....

10. firefighter1406

Right. But with this design if I take it to the edges it is right at the bolts that attach it. So as soon as the bolt wears through it falls off again.

This is what I have.

http://www.centralparts.com/ProductDetails6548.aspx

11. Spool it up

im going to get deep with this . can you shim the bolts with washers either side of shoe so they hold to spec ? longer bolts vs more washers ,following me ?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  12. firefighter1406

Sorry I guess I am not.

13. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Regarding that configuration adjustment.... The principal is the same, just the way you adjust is different. On the unis there are multiple bolt holes in the mount and you have to get the mount to sit at a specific height.

14. firefighter1406

Right, I think if I remember you are supposed to have the mount pin height at 10 1/2". Mine is like at 10 1/4" and the a frame is as close to level as possible. That's why I don't understand why I am having this problem.

15. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have the same problem with my ultramount. Cutting edges are 80% and gone through 2 brackets. My configuration is right according to their specs but I also noticed that the brackets for the shoes are a little close to the pavement....I don't run shoes.

Kinda thinking the way to go is raise the t frame up and make up the difference with the adjustable wedges. Kinda tired of having to fab up new brackets with the cutting edge being in good shape.

16. nickhanso

nickhanso Junior Member

I'm having the same issues.... Help... :)

17. firefighter1406

Sounds like quite a few have the problem, but only one piece edges are gonna fix it. Sure seems like the only answer.

18. michdeere

michdeere Member

I've had the EXACT same experiences with my '06 ultramount mvp. The biggest help was going from the thinner 3/8" thick edges to the 1/2" edge. They do last longer. I had no idea the originals that came with the blade were such thin material (3/8" versus 1/2"). I am still changing edges out that would seem to have a lot of life left in them. Short of selling the plow and updating to a newer version, I don't think there's an easy answer. I talked with a tech at Western about this issue, and his answer was "we kind of missed the mark on this one". Yeah, I'd say so.

19. firefighter1406

That's true but it doesn't really help the pain of buying a set of $350 edges every year.:realmad:

20. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I use a 1/2 thick rubber lay it behind cutting edge ffirst 2 holes on both side and bolt Edge on
    You was measure it when the plow is in V mode The trip edge still trips ok

I never could see paying 350 for 4 inches of wear So I make my wear edges using 5/8x8'' that gives me a true 6'' of wear