1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western cutting edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scott Fortin, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Scott Fortin

Scott Fortin Junior Member

I'm looking at a getting a new cutting edge for my Western Pro Plow. This is the first time I've done this type of replacement, and I'm wondering should I go with the standard steel edge? Do I need to get one specifically made for this plow? I do mostly commercial with a few residentials, but I'm looking at adding more residentials next year. Are the u blades better for either one?

2. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Go for the U!:nod:

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Im in the same boat. I'm thinking getting another 1/2" steel and the backdrag edge like the pro plus plows have. I havent gotten any use feedback, but it seems like a good idea :confused:

4. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

I would go with the Urethane edge. There are many advantages to both. I'll name 2. for commercials, when you're plowing and you hit a manhole cover, it will ride over it not like a steel edge. And for resdentials it's better cause then you can plow at 3 in the morning and people won't hear your loud steel edge scraping their drivewayy while they're sleeping. They'll only have to sleep through the noise your plow makes when shifting positions. That can get loud:D

5. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

I agree on a rubber or urethane edge. So quiet, and safer when you hit something (someting I do a lot, for some reason). I was amazed when we first got a rubber add-on for our Western plow on our old truck.

Right now, you get $25 off (manufacturer's sale) on an 8' urethane edge during February from Dino or Bruce (they're supposed to be sponsers, so I guess it's OK to give 'em a plug). I just bought one and they sent me a check back for $25 because of the sale. Plus, they said it's be a few days before I got it. It was more like a few hours. I'm impressed.

6. Scott Fortin

Scott Fortin Junior Member

What's the deal on the wear of that type of edge though? How much did it cost in comparison? I've had quotes from $60-100 on steel.