Snow Plowing Forum banner

Western cutting edge question

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  musicars 
#1 ·
I have an older 8 ft Western and was wonder how much I can let the cutting edge wear. I've been getting scratches and scrapes on the bottoms of my angle rams. This is partly due to a rough broken up lot that I have to plow but I was wondering if a worn edge could put them closer to the ground and make the problem worse. Currently, the edge is 4-1/2" tall with about 2-1/4" below the bottom edge of the moldboard assembly. I would appreciate any input.

#2 ·
You should be able to run that cutting edge just before it gets into the moldboard. If your rams are getting scratches then you should look at the angle of the A-frame. Your A-frame should be as close to parallel with the ground on a flat surface. It sounds like the A-frame is tilted up toward the moldboard.

#3 ·
Yeah, you can go about 1/2" before the bolts. Usually by that time they're not flat anymore though. I usually will only go 1 season or so on cutting edges.

#4 ·
I would say you have a fair amount of cutting edge left. I would also say that part of the reason your angling rams are getting scratched up would be because they are getting lower to the pavement you are plowing because of the cutting edge getting shorter. If you were plowing on a perfectly flat surface it probably wouldn't be a problem at all.

#5 ·
Thanks for the input! I did check to see if the A-frame was level and found it to be within about 2 degrees. I have to plow a couple of pretty bumpy lots so I'll assume that's just something I'll have to deal with. A taller edge would probably help a bit, but I think your right about it being the uneven pavement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.