1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Conventional Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kwegman003, Nov 5, 2007.

1. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

I am looking at a western 7ft 6in conventional mount plow. It is off a 1992 Ford F250 and I am looking to put it on a 1997 Ford f350. will the wiring and mounting process work. I was looking at unimount/ultramounts but the price of the plows was $500 more than the value of a truck. I also had the same plow setup on my chevy 2500 last year so I am familiar with how it works.

Also how hard is it to install this plow? I am handy with tools, but do not have welder/torches or anything like that. I am a college student looking to save about $1200 on using a conventional plow setup.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The mount isn't gonna fit your F350. The frames are different between the 250's and the 350's since one is twin I beam and the others solid axle..

3. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

thanks! I figured that but I called the guy selling it and he said he thinks it will fit trying to sell it. Man would I have been stuck with that if it didnt work. Im Running out of time...getting chilly

4. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Don't forget that the conventional mount Western plows don't work on vehicles with airbags!

If you put it on your truck and get in an accident your insurance company won't cover you!

5. 82F100SWB

82F100SWB Junior Member

The frames are exactly the same between the 250 and 350. Yes, the 250 has twin traction beam, but, both being 4x4, both are leaf sprung, and both frames are identical. The only difference between the 250 and 350 under the nose are the axle and steering.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

But a '92 and a '97 frame are not the same.. and a conventional mount won't just bolt on between the two.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  7. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

92 - 97 F250 and F350 are the same trucks, As long as the 97 is the same body style, They didnt fully change the trucks over to the new body style until 98....But there are some 97's with the new body style..

8. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

ok well I came across a conventional mount from a 1994 f350 for a 1997 f350. Now the question is how do I mount the frame. I have never done this before I know I have to remove the bumper... Is there a thread that explains the process a little better it is cable driven conventional? I think I get the wiring aspect.

9. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

10. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

thank you bnc
    alteast that helps make sense on what it should look like when its finished. The mount is all assembled I wish it werent though because now I have to try and jack it all up in one piece. I wonder if Its worth $300 to have it done somewhere. I would like to do it my self so I understand whats going on when I have a problem. Maybe im crazy in wanting to attempt it in my driveway.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You cann't install it as one piece. Attach lift frame first, then crossbar, then thruster arms.

12. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

the mount is already separated from the lights and pump. is that what you mean. There is the blade and a-frame in one piece, the lights and pump in another, then the under truck mount is the third piece. I want to keep the third piece together because it is rusted and Im not sure I will be able to separate them without cutting the bolts.