1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Conventional Cable contolled unit.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by moosey, Nov 28, 2005.

1. moosey

moosey Senior Member

Well this site has helped me out alot. I'm trying to make sure when the snow really starts to fly I'm ready. I have the old cable controlled unit and my question is this. How do u remove the old cables and install the new ones. I noticed there is a allen screw for the angle one and a regular screw for the up/down cable. But they both look like they(cables) screw in. If someone can give me some good directions or maybe a online manual for something like this. Thanks

2. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

Click on the Western symbol at the top of this page (left column) and go to there publications on-line. There are owners and mechanics manuals there that will tell you what you need to know.

3. LD4850

LD4850 Member

Red cables or black ?
    Red ones.... both cables are held in place by allen head set screws. Loosen the set screws, take cover off & unhook end of cable, pull cable out. Other end... slide clip up or down & remove cable.
    Black cables ... instructions are on the Western web site.

4. genrock

genrock Member

black cables are set up the exact same way. I dont know why they chose to make those screws different types of head but they did all they do is hold the cable housing from coming off. Youll see what that means when you losen it all up and have a look at it. Your not going to hurt anything by taking that face place off. Should be packed with grease if its not make sure to do so when you put it back together. BTW that cable is $39.00 I just bought another one this year.

5. Lena

Lena Junior Member

Cable controled unit

I recently bought an old cable control unit, Everything seems to be there. My question is what is the black electric wire running from the control box for?
    Thanks
    Lena

6. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

I believe the black wire should be the ground for the soleniod to run the motor.

7. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

It goes to the solenoid under the hood switch side.

8. LordOfTheSith

LordOfTheSith Member

After you have done all the good advice these fine folks here hve given do not forget to inspect your gaskets....in fact replacing them is a good idea....I do mine every 2 or so years because if moisture gets in there you are in for one helluva ride...trust me, been there done that!!

DLOTS

9. LordOfTheSith

LordOfTheSith Member

yes it most definitally is the solenoid ground.

DLOTS