1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Convention relief valve issue

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by akcleaver, Oct 23, 2010.

1. akcleaver

akcleaver Junior Member
    from Alaska

Western Conventional relief valve issue

Hey all first post here,
    I have an old western cable operated plow. The relief valve for the lift ram was stripped out so I heli coiled it and now it seems i cant thread it in far enough to get the shuttle to depress the ball.. I tried just adjusting the lift valve screw but it ends up being so much that the angle makes the blade raise. Any ideas? I am thinking of trying to get some of the helicoil out so i can seat the relief valve further in but im afraid i wont be able to get the o-ring to seal if I do this..

Thanks for reading any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  2. akcleaver

akcleaver Junior Member
    from Alaska

Fixed it <Finally>

Hey guys, I saw several of you viewed my post but didn't reply.. No biggy I went ahead and cut about 4 of the top heli coil threads, went down and bought an oversize o-ring from napa and built a washer that would fit snugly on the lockdown nut. I got the relief adjusted properly then forced the o-ring down into the throat of the body.. It was tapped out for the helicoil which is not ideal for an o-ring seal but with a little rtv on top of the o-ring and under the washer it has sealed.

Hope no one else has to ever deal with this issue because, believe me it was NO FUN!

Great forum site I have read several posts and taken some of the tips. It has been very helpful.