1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western controls

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cqtreichel, Oct 20, 2008.

1. cqtreichel

cqtreichel Junior Member

I have mounted a used plow (not a unimount) on my 86 Toyota 4 runner and am in the process of hooking up the mechanincal valve controls and joystick. The joystick has only one wire coming from it. Is a second wire missing? or am I missing something. Could sure use a schematic. There was no solonoid included so I am contemplating useing an automotive one.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

3. cqtreichel

cqtreichel Junior Member

That is what I suspected. But my pump motor, which has two leads, runs without connecting the ground, as the ground also goes through the case, so I am wondering what would be wrong with making the joystick a two wire device (which is relatively simple) and using it to activate the solonoid hooked up to the red positive lead from the battery. I tested it and it seems to work ok. I don't like deviating from what the manufacturor intended, but I am not sure I have a choice.
    Thanks for your reply.

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

:dizzy:i wouldn't go there ,but if you want particulars ask b&b i will get you lost .

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Wiring diagram is on page 4. No need to make it harder than it has to be. Cable controlled manual

The pump may run without the large ground cable even connected because its currently getting ground through the mount and mounting hardware. Won't be good enough under load conditions though. Connect the large ground cable directly to the neg batt terminal.

If you have a solenoid with two small terminals on it you'll need to run a small gage jumper wire between the large post terminal on the solenoid thats connected to the battery and one of the small terminals if it does't already have one. Then your black ground wire from your joystick goes on the other small term, as the solenoid is tripped by GROUND, not power as in the case of newer plow systems.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  6. cqtreichel

cqtreichel Junior Member

Western controls,bleading air and fluids.

Again, thanks for the advice. I do have that type solenoid and will use it. The schematic you sent shows only 3 external terminals on the solonoid, but it must have an internal connection.
    Another question: Is it ever necessry to blead air from the cylinders or does it just work its way out? The manual calls for ATF; I used hydraulic fluid before reading this. Could this be a problem?.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Many times they will work the air out on their own if you dont over work it after the initial fill (aerates the fluid). You can always bleed the lines at the cylinders if necessary.

Actual mil spec hydro fluid (if thats what it is) is actually better than ATF in a plow pump application.