1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Controller Mount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Antlerart06, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Well I started to make my mount. I have 2 to make for 2015 F350 Chassis

I know one guy on here made his from wood
    I'm using steel
    Here is 2 photos Tomorrow I have to go buy some gas didn't know I was out till I turned it on.

The pic of the cup holder its 3'' round stock x3 1/4'' tall in the rubber it fits tight so tight its hard to pull the rubber off
    The 3'' wide strap is 1/4'' I'll weld them together Then paint or dip the strap in rubber dip and paint the rest

I'll take more photos tomorrow once its done The 2nd one will go faster Spent a lot time :drinkup: and thinking

1210141502a.jpg

1210141703a.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  2. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Nice design I made my own controller mount too

Sadly this is the best picture of it

[​IMG]

3. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

WOW...that slug has to weigh 15# or more.
    Hope you don't get in a wreck cause that will hurt when it hits you in the head...;-)

4. Antlerart06

LOL I don't think its going fly out since I cant pull it out by hand
    That be last thing I be worry about fling in a wreck Stuff in back seat will hurt worse

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Well you won't need as much ballast in the back with all that steel under the joystick! I hope the dangerous stuff in the back seat you mentioned isn't anything like the stuff in the background of your work bench. If it is it's going to look like you hit and IED if you ever crash. All joking aside... you gotta work with what you have and make yourself as comfortable as possible. Personally I prefer the handheld controllers but to each their own...

6. Antlerart06

I like the handheld controllers I don't want to hold it Here is what should look like but I think I'm going lower some more

Photo isn't great but you can see it

1211141720a.jpg

7. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

Trust me...that thing will have no problem getting out of there and it won't need to go out the top... It's simple physics.

I was wrong...its only 6.5lbs.

8. Antlerart06

What are you talking about

9. xgiovannix12

Thats a neat handheld mount. good job.

10. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

nice idea, but i think that slug will lift out of the cup holder when applying any pressure on the controller mounting point. that bent flat stock will act as a big lever(crowbar) and lift it right out once it is welded up. at least thats what i'm thinking as i look at the pictures. i'd also be concerned about that heavy mass of steel flying around the cab in the event of an accident.

i'd think you'd be much better off mounting it to a fixed location with either light steel or some kind of plastic.

11. Antlerart06

LOL Well its done and it wont lift out It will not pull out unless you use a screw driver to pry it out The rubber acts like a suction cup
    So flying out in a accident well I'll tell when that happens. If I road trip I'll remove it so its not in my way. Summer time wont be in there. and its not my personal truck winter time only gets used to plow
    I change it little lowered so it would feel more comfortable running it

Fix mount be nice but I'm not screwing it to the dash Its a 2015 truck I'm not putting holes in the dash you might but I wont

1212141724a.jpg

1212141725a.jpg

1212141725b.jpg

12. linckeil

from CT

LOL - if you're around to tell the tale.

13. Antlerart06

Making 2 of them

Say How and where did you mount your controller in a F350 truck

14. linckeil

from CT

sure - here's a pic from another thread showing where it's mounted on my F350. i got 2 controllers mounted in one in case i need to swap from a cable control pump to an electric solenoid pump. secured to trans tunnel with 4 1/4-20 stainless bolts and nuts. located about the same spot as yours, just a different way of getting it there.

013.JPG

15. xgiovannix12

you know I have both controllers as well And never of thought of doing it this way Like that and might have to copy you down the road. Thumbs Up

16. Antlerart06

Sure is different Thats old You need to update
    I lay my hand on the console my controller is there You would have to reach forward From looking at it

17. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

That's a good idea on a temp mount.

I used a camera mount arm and screwed it to the transmission tunnel. My truck is older and this permanent worked for me. I painted it black and used velcro. Arm was $10 on Amazon Prime. I'll post a pic later today.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000XMG91Y

18. linckeil

from CT

i need to update? why? it is very well maintained and works perfect. in fact, the exact same style joystick controller is still used today for every straight blade western or fisher plow you buy brand new. so update to what - the exact the same controller?

as for reaching - not quite. shift the trans with my right hand, then move hand 3 inches to the right and boom!!!! i'm right on top of the controller. palm of hand gets rested on the unused cable control joystick and fingers work the solenoid control. very comfortable, very user friendly.

opinions on the best place to mount the controller are everywhere. whats most important is what the operator thinks. i'm very happy, and hopefully you are happy with your setup.

19. linckeil

from CT

yeah, i saw you had both controllers in your pic. your setup looks like it would work just fine. always nice to have a backup - you just never know in this business....

mine works real slick, even though it is "outdated" :rolleyes:

20. Antlerart06

I'm happy in my 2015 F350 I happy running my V Ultramount plows

I rest my arm on the console and My V plow controller it right there

In my 99 F350 5 speed the V plow controller is in finger distance from the stick on in first gear mounted on the dash
    02 F350 auto is mounted on the dash next to the shifter not comfortable
    Mounts are out the way. Since I use these trucks more then just for snow
    During summer time there is always a third guy in the middle.

In my 2015 super cab the seat goes back farther. Then any of my other reg cab trucks trucks So it made since mount it on the console.
    My old 99 F350 super cab Auto had a Boss V, made a box that lock under the fold down console to hold the joy stick. Now that was very comfortable