1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western cables too short

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 7_3powerstroke, Jan 22, 2011.

1. 7_3powerstroke

7_3powerstroke Junior Member

I just finished a custom mount for a conventional 8.5 foot plow onto an 2001 250 crew cab shortbed with a 7.3. The controls are SAM joystick with 108" cables (9 ft.) and they are not long enough. I built my own floor mount and bolted it right in front of the console.If I take the most direct route possible, straight out thru the firewall directly to the pump, there is not an inch to spare.I searched the internet for longer cables but cannot find anything. These are the black cables (newer style). I hope someone has an answer. I really can't afford to go electric right now.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Need more details... An 8' what? Pro, Pro Plus, HTS, Suberbanite? Unimount / ultramount? New / old? Isolation module or relays? Usually the cables are long enought and have to be bundled up a bit behind the grill or in the engine comp. Sometimes there is no choice on the routing and cables can be a bit short. Have you considered drilling a new hole in the firewall that allows a more direct rout?

3. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

I believe he is talking about an old Western cable controlled unit.

4. 7_3powerstroke

7_3powerstroke Junior Member

Thanks. I made the nine foot ones work by relocating the controls to a dash bracket.