1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Cable will only angle one direction

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Clearprop, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Clearprop

Clearprop Junior Member

Blew a hydraulic hose, replaced it, plow worked fine for 2 or 3 plowings. Now it will only angle twoards the passenger side. I have checked the cable throws on both the 3 way and 4 way, tried adjusting the 4 way. No matter where I put the 4 way cable it will always push to the right but refuses to move left. I can hear the pump working. When I hook the hydraulic hose from the angle rams together I can move the plow by hand. No problem with up or down and the fluid level is fine.

Anyone have any ideas? So far I am figuring on these possibilities.

1. A bad quick connector ( I have never seen one go bad in only one direction.... is that possible?)

2. Could it be a cushion valve? I had to heat up the 4 way a bit to change the hose... but then why did it work for 2 snows before going bad?

3. The 4 way valve itself?

this has been a bullet proof pump for many years. I have always been able to fix what I needed to. Now I am stumped and we are getting the blizzard from hell.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

pull the angle cable off and move the valve manually. does it move all the way? energize the solenoid and shift it again. should angle both ways.
  3. Clearprop

Clearprop Junior Member

IF you chose #1 you were correct. The quick connect was bad and would only let fluid travel one way. Bought a replacement at the plow center and was ready to plow in 10 minutes.