1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Cable unit mystery

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by LogBuilder, Jan 13, 2015.

1. LogBuilder

LogBuilder Junior Member
    from Attica

I have a western cable pump/plow that I have resurrected from storage and mounted on my one ton truck.
    All in all, a great unit but one mystery, it falls/lowers in neutral.
    I have totally cleaned and replaced all O-rings/gaskets. Pump itself is strong, filter screen is clean.
    New lift ram, washers, wipers, packing nut. New angle rams. New hoses. New cables. New lift valve. Shuttle Valves work, Relief valve works (I believe).
    Cables are adjusted to spec and work great.
    I can adjust the lift valve enough to make the plow leap off the ground, and the relief valve can be adjusted out enough to make the lower function on the controller inop. After all of this, the plow still falls in neutral.
    Would I be looking at a shuttle or cam issue? Is there anything else that I could be missing?
    I know that I will catch some flak for wanting to use such an "ancient" piece of equipment, but hey, it's a challenge.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.

2. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

are you sure the lift cable is going into the N position ? Possibly it stretched letting it stay in the lower position

3. LogBuilder

LogBuilder Junior Member
    from Attica

After every adjustment I have made sure of that.
    Didn't take long to learn that the cable adjustments have a great deal of influence on things..

4. LogBuilder

LogBuilder Junior Member
    from Attica

As a note, the new cables that I installed really aren't conventional cable.
    They are like a high tensile stainless steel 10ga wire..

5. xgiovannix12

yea they are very picky for adjustment Id hate to guess but the check valve might need to be replaced

Part number 55568k

6. xgiovannix12

7. LogBuilder

LogBuilder Junior Member
    from Attica

That's just about the only thing that I can't get apart on the thing.
    I thought that it may be working since I could adjust it to where the controller couldn't lower it (Which is just before the O-ring leaks fluid). I really would like to get this thing dialed in.
    I appreciate your input

8. LogBuilder

LogBuilder Junior Member
    from Attica

Yeah, I have the diagnostic table and manual on my hard drive in my shop.
    I have also found a couple of variants from over the years.
    I also have my western parts supplier stumped.

Personally, I think it's somewhere between the cam, shuttle, or check valve.
    It certainly has been an adventure with this unit...

9. xgiovannix12

yep I believe its the check valve as well

10. LogBuilder

LogBuilder Junior Member
    from Attica

My western parts supplier said they had a couple on hand.
    I'll pick one up and see what happens.
    Thanks